Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing live vs fake bait.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have gotten to the point where I almost never use live bait much anymore. Between the soft plastics and raps/cranks I haven’t even used a live bait rig this year and I’ve had one of my better years fishing.

So, what is everyone having the best luck on.

Participant

Never really used bait aside from tipping a jig as far as targeting walleyes, but I consider myself a noob when it comes to walleye fishing.

Participant

I didn’t start walleye fishing until about 11 years ago right after high school. I only used live bait (nightcrawlers) up until last fall when my friend had me try a Gulp minnow. I was skeptical to begin with but did catch a lot of fish with the Gulp so now I’m about 50/50 with nightcrawlers and Gulp. If one isn’t working I try the other and have had decent luck. I haven’t really used any other baits as far as those two. I’ve thrown a twister before and have used a minnow but I seem to do better with the others. I’m not sure if I’m not quite fishing them right or what.

Participant

I like to live bait fish for eyes. I use a lot of crawlers, shiners, minnows, madtoms and small bullheads really work.

Participant

both have their applications. live bait will outfish artificial in certain cold water situations i find.

Participant

Give me a slip bobber, a leech, and a weed line any day, and light the rig up at night and fish in the docs.

Participant

I used to be that guy that would say you can’t beat the real thing. I was wrong, I started exclusively using plastics 3 years ago. One of the biggest factors is making sure you use scented plastics and having a wide variety of colors to choose from. All it takes is confidence and once you have that you won’t look back. For those who say you can’t beat live bait go to an ice fishing tournament almost all the guys will be using plastics and see if you beat any of them.

Participant

a group of our ice fishing buddies were 100% plastics a few years back. there were a contingency of us who fished to the situation and would use what was biting best. there were def times when we just killed the 100% plastic guys but other times where it was even.

as i said, you have to be versatile. tournament guys always have minnows/leeches/worms in their stable. you never know when they will be necessary. i know 100% artifical guys who are so but 0 out a lot. thats their perogative but for me, i’m going to catch fish however i can.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.