Home Forums Hunting Firearms Lever action question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I before was having the caliber debate I actually did the happy dance when I found out you could get .44 mag So that is what I chose.
    My one question is, Rossi, and Henry.
    Is the henry worth the extra $
    Is the Rossi decent?

I have heard the New marlins are better i know there was a QA issue but they since got that fixed.

If the Henry is worth the Money I will consider getting that.

Participant

I think the Henry is worth it. The Henry walnut stocks are so much prettier than the laminate or rossi stocks and it doesn’t have an extra safety or half stop on the hammer (it won’t let me type the proper word for it haha). It seems very simple and functional. I haven’t handled a Rossi but I think I’m going to go with Henry once I get the wife on board haha.

Participant

Save up another week and buy the Henry, less than $200 difference from the Braztech to the Henry. You will have a quality American made rifle compared to a Rossi. Pretty easy choice if you ask me.

nater3nater3
    Participant

Just bought the Henry 44 mag steel rifle last week from Bud’s Guns online. $650 with free shipping. Love the gun. Just buy it

Participant

A friend of mine asked about what is the best cal to go with the new law. I honestly don’t know much about straight wall cartridges. Where can I got to see what is approved?

Is the 45/70 going to be one of them?

What are the best cart for this? How much advantage will they have over a pumpkin chucker.

Participant

Two years ago, I went with the Henry because it is an American product and I thought it would hold it’s value. So far, it’s still NIB, but I have a feeling that will change. I went .44 Mag to match my S&W 629 Classic, reload for both firearms.

Pretty sure the 45/70 was an approved pistol round, so should be a legal round for rifle with the new legislation. Didn’t care for a 45/70 pistol so didn’t consider that route.

Participant

A good friend ran out and bought one of the .44 Steel Henry’s as soon as he heard about this rifle bill. It’s a very nice looking rifle, excellent fit and finish, great wood and checkering. Has a bit of a kick, about the same as a 20 gauge to me. We put it in the Lead Sled last weekend and after a few shots to get the feel of it, I made a cloverleaf at 50 yards with open sights – three holes all touching. I was consistently inside of 3-4 inches and my eyesight isn’t the greatest. We were shooting the Winchester 240 grain soft-points. My friend reloads, so he is going to roll up some .44 rifle loads and put a scope on the rifle – he needs a scope. Also, this particular rifle shot left, about 3 inches at 50 yards.

I’m tempted to get one, but I enjoy hunting with my muzzle-loader too much, plus I’d be recalcitrant to take such a pretty weapon out into the field on rainy, crappy day in Dec.

Participant

Friend of mine has a 45-70 and it is an allowed cartridge. I will use a 357 bolt that can make clovers at 100 yards. One in the brain pan should work. not a shot I would have tried with a muzzy or shotgun.

Participant

Get the henry. It will be well worth it as far as quality. The rossi will only shoot hit the target if you press it up to the target and pull the trigger. then there is a 50/50 chance that you will either miss or the gun won’t fire.

Participant

I should of mentioned the trigger on his Henry was pretty good too, just a teeny bit of creep and not too heavy of a pull. I have one of the Henry .22 lever rifles and I really, really like that rifle, smooth, accurate, and fun. Actually the .22 Henry would be a cheap way to practice with a lever action, before spending $$’s on .44 or .357/.38 ammo.

Participant

So is using buds gun shop online a pain in the butt? Or pretty easy?

Participant

Quote by: iceking25

So is using buds gun shop online a pain in the butt? Or pretty easy?

Super Easy, buy the gun, it is shipped to your FFL. Done.

Participant

x2 on Bud’s.

They are consistenlty the cheapest by $30-50 or more on NIB guns. They also do price match on request if you actually find a lower price (never happened for me). They also take trades.

I have bought my last 4 or 5 guns from them without any issues whatsoever.

nater3nater3
    Participant

Bud’s is extremely easy. They already have nearly every FFL in their database, so you just click on where you want it sent, pay with a credit card and it is shipped out.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

They also have Military and LEO discount with preapproval.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.