Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Let’s hear about your success or lack of.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Went out first season in a.m. after scouting a few days before, but they flew down behind me across a swampy creek and wouldn’t come across to me.   In late afternoon 4:30, went back out, sat until 7 p.m. seeing/hearing nothing.  Then all of a sudden at 7:05 p.m. 2 silent toms came strolling over to my decoys, shot the biggest looking one.  4th season out again, first 2 times in a.m., saw some but no luck, third time out in evening, again saw some but no luck.  Next morning was very foggy, I hate fog.  Some gobbles at shooting time, no birds until about 7:15 a.m., 3 hens followed by 3 jakes, I would have shot one but they didn’t come close enough, I’m not a picky hunter, what ever shows up first that’s legal I take home.  In the next 15 minutes out in the fog a coyote trots by, I send a load of 6’s out to say hello but he took off, not very friendly.  In  3 minutes after that the 3 hens comes walking back to the decoys, but no jakes this time.  About 8 a.m. the fog lifts and over on the hill 200 yds away is a tom with 2 hens, I wait to take a reading on where they look like they’re going, not in my direction, so I start calling to no good. They walk away and I don’t see any more so at 9 a.m. I’m heading home for breakfast.  The next time out in the evening about 6:30 2 hens walk out of the timber at 300 yds dragging a tom with them.  They drag him around for 1.5 hrs, but never get any closer than 80 yds.  It’s now Monday  4/29, we received 1.5″ of rain last night and was too wet for  me this a.m., I don’t like to get wet.  Getting ready to go out again this evening, maybe the rain has changed my luck!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.