Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing leopard frogs for walleys?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I have a buddy that swears by them in the fall time…..especially in the Iowa river. Anyone else have luck for big eyes with them? He said him andcacfew family members catch a few over 25+” every fall….sounds like fun to me!!!

wallybanger101
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have never used them myself but I have cleaned many walleyes with frogs in them, so i tried topwater baits and caught walleyes. That was usually in may. Have a buddy who uses them in the fall in emerson bay on west okoboji where garlock slough comes into the lake and he uses them there.

jgib551
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Every fall many lakes in Minnesota experience a frog migration.You see 100’s of them squashed on the road sometimes.I guess they are returning to the lakes for hibernation and the walleyes move into shallow water and gorge themselves.Havent tried them in Iowas but as long as they are Leopard Frogs they should work well.

panfishkilla
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: wallybanger101

I have never used them myself but I have cleaned many walleyes with frogs in them, so i tried topwater baits and caught walleyes. That was usually in may. Have a buddy who uses them in the fall in emerson bay on west okoboji where garlock slough comes into the lake and he uses them there.

So do ya use smaller buzzbaits?

EJE
    Participant
    Up
    Down

how do you typically rig them?

jgib551
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: EJE

how do you typically rig them?

I have always just run them on a slip sinker and nose hooked them.Fish them right on the bottom.They actually stay alive fairly well if you bring them up for air once and awhile.

panfishkilla
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My buddy said they usually fish them shallow with slip sinkers. I guess just below riffles next to deeper holes

Hdnpowrz
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Never tried them but I once cleaned a walleye on Halloween day one year. You couldn’t get another frog in his stomach…

panfishkilla
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Well guess I’m definitely gonna do some frog fishn this fall

wallybanger101
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: panfishkilla

Quote by: wallybanger101

So do ya use smaller buzzbaits?

I was actually using the berkley frenzy poppers that they made about 13-14 years ago. They made em in a leppard frog pattern…

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

When I grew up in Minnesota I caught them and sold them to local fishermen for WALLEYES.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.