Home Forums Miscellaneous Photography lens

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So yesterday I busted out my old Nikon d5000 to play around with and had some fun doing outdoor photography in Duluth. One of the main reasons I dont use it more is that I dont have a great singe lens solution. I have a 18-55 and a 70-300 both of which I really like, but neither of which makes a decent one lens solution for a walk through the woods or a trip in the boat.

The smaller lens wont give me enough zoom for any kind of wildlife shot, and the larger lens makes any kind of landscape shot tough. As a result it only comes out when I am going out to focus on photography and bring both. It would get 10x more use if I could carry it with a single lens on just a general walk in the woods.

It seems an ideal solution would be the 18-200 but that is seriously expensive. Other options would be 55-200 but I dont think that one would get low enough, or 18-105 ($230) or 18-140 ($270). Anyone have any thoughts on a good general purpose walk in the woods or take the boat out lens?

Participant

Of what you have listed I think the 18-105 would be my choice I’ve rented this lense before and it’s a nice multipurpose lens. If you can increase your budget I highly suggest the NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 you will be much happier with it for your purpose.

Bluegill MikeBluegill Mike
    Participant

I’m hard to budge off f2.8 lens, with that clarity I can’t imagine the price for something in f2.8 that shoots BOTH of those ends of spectrum(18mm-300/400mm). I carry both lens in my pack, with the 18-55 loaded most of the time. If game or wildlife is the subject, then something with longer reach gets the nod knowing my landscape abilitys will suffer with the zoom. If you end up finding something moderately priced with reasonable quality, I’d love to know more.

Other weird ideas, buy a 2nd camera body and carry two cameras with lens for each situation?(Ive seen it but that is too much gear for me in a woods walk). Go back to a non SLR, those 400$ Nikon Coolpix offer a huge range of reach without needing to change a lens.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.