Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Leech or centipede?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A couple buddies and i were wading near hanging rock south of Redfield yesterday. Like a moron, I forgot my box of crawlers on the bank and was out of bait after getting cleaned. Instead of trudging all the way back to the bank, i started turning rocks over to see if I could find a crawdad or insect larvae for bait. At one point I turned over a large rock, and after the water cleared I saw what I thought was a curled up crawdad. To my surprise the creature unrolled and glided across the bottom over and under rocks just like a centipede. It was about 1/2″ wide by about 4″ long, had large segments like a crawdad tail, and was like no leech I’ve ever seen before. I tried searching for it on google last night but didn’t have any luck. Anybody seen something similar or know what I was looking at?

I almost forgot about the fishing report. We started below the Redfield dam and the only thing biting were short channel cats about 10″ long. There were a couple guys on the east side that caught several of them too. By hanging rock my buddy caught a drum and a couple short smallies before we headed out.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Hello: Check out the Hellgramite , it’s the larvae stage of the Dobson fly. Great bait for fresh water. Good Luck . O – R

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks Ron, and I am familiar with helgramites as I’ve seined them up a few times. This was much longer than any helgramite i’ve ever seen, but the segmentation was very similar.

Participant
    Up
    Down

x2 on Hellgramite. I grew up on that river and have captured plenty of 4-inchers from under big rocks.

Participant
    Up
    Down

In that case I will take your guys’ word for it. I never knew they grew that large based on what I’ve seen elsewhere. Based on the movement of the thing, I am sure they are good bait for multiple species. What have you had the best luck fishing for with the ugly buggers?

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Smallmouth, Walleye, Northern- all of them will take a Helgie. They are kind of a secret “big fish” bait.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

Smallmouth, Walleye, Northern- all of them will take a Helgie. They are kind of a secret “big fish” bait.

And trout. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.