Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling Last Day for Ducks here in WY

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yesterday was the last day for ducks here in WY. The Big Horn River has been running high all fall due to last winter’s snow fall. Its been heck on retrieving birds due to the fast current. If the duck is still alive its gone before your dog can get it or they end up 1/4 mile downstream with no duck or stuck on an ice shelf. My dog is 8 now and is slowing down a little but he is still the best dog I have owned. Yesterday morning the temp was 6 degrees at sun rise so I delayed going until the temp reached 20 degrees at 10:00 AM. I set up decoys and the ducks and geese started coming. I killed my first green head with one shot then it started. I could not hit a duck or goose to save my life. My shooting was horrible. I had my poorest shooting day I have had in 15 years. Same shells same gun I was just off. My dog did great but my shooting was bad. I lost a goose that was only 20 feet off the water that managed to take three shots at 30 yards and still flew about 1/2 mile before it disappeared into a place I didn’t have permission to go. I hit a widgeon that literally flew straight up nearly out of sight then dropped about 1/4 mile away into some heavy cover. We searched 30 mins and couldn’t find him. Finally I noticed he was struck about 15 feet up in a Russian Olive tree. While I was searching for that duck mallards were pouring into the decoys. I went through 1 1/2 boxes of shells to shoot a limit of ducks. I did water swat at a drake mallard 9 times before it was over but I missed so many easy ducks it was embarrassing. I saw a duck floating down river and had my dog retrieve it. Turned out it was spoonie someone else shot but I claimed it for my last duck just to end my misery of shooting so badly at 3:00 PM. I would like to say I’m sad duck season is over but after my shooting performance I really need to hit the trap, skeet and sporting clays range before I go again anyway.

Image moved down

Whip

3.5 tens3.5 tens
    Participant

So glad someone still has the chance to get the birds! Jealous a bit but still glad!
    good job!!

"I have always had a soft spot in my heart for marshes. They challenge me to come and look. Their capacity for mothering wild life is far greater than the drier uplands, no matter how beautiful they may be. It seems to me that no man is closer to the beginning of things and the eternal motherhood of the outdoors than when he is familiar with a marsh."

WhipWhip
    Participant

Looks like I need to work on how to post pics the screen size on my post is huge. Used Imugur for the first time and it was an experiment.

Whip

Participant

I was gonna comment on how those are some gigantic late season birds but you beat me to it. Awesome picture, glad to see your success. Wigeons in full plumage are such a pretty bird.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Trying to fix my image no luck. Tips?

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Good job on the waterfowl!!!!!

edit – but maybe this one is sized better (it’s one of the choices, not sure which one… maybe an extra large thumbnail, the suffix is “h” on then end of the address) –

WhipWhip
    Participant

Thanks scruffy for the tip.

Whip

Participant

Love reading about this and seeing the pics Whip. Your living the dream!

I got out duck hunting only one weekend this year on the Mississippi in WI. Wife, job, and kids only allow me so much time!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.