Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Landowner Tag

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have 2 landowner tags for Gun 1 & 2 this year. I have been asked to tag along with a buddy’s group for 1st season. Can I hunt in a group on other land if I only have landowner tags? Getting conflicting answers…

Participant

Nope. You would have to purchase a statewide anysex or possibly an antlerless tag for that county if you want to hunt off of your property. That is if you qualif for those tags or the county where they are hunting has any remaining antlerless tags available.

Participant

So how does it work for example: someone who group hunts and shoots a deer…uses their only tag…and then continues to hunt and drive deer to other hunters in their group?

I was always under the impression that when group hunting, you only needed a valid tag of some sort (landowner if hunting some of your land, statewide tag, or doe tag). If you tagged out you could still hunt with the group because others still have an unused tag. Am I right on this? Or did I make it clear as mud?

Participant

Quote by: hawkeye13

So how does it work for example: someone who group hunts and shoots a deer…uses their only tag…and then continues to hunt and drive deer to other hunters in their group?

I was always under the impression that when group hunting, you only needed a valid tag of some sort (landowner if hunting some of your land, statewide tag, or doe tag). If you tagged out you could still hunt with the group because others still have an unused tag. Am I right on this? Or did I make it clear as mud?

You need to have a legal tag for the area you a hunting (either filled or unfilled). If you have a first season Davis County Antlerless tag only you can only hunt in Davis County. If you have a statewide any sex tag first season you could hunt anywhere. If you have a landowner tag only you can only hunt on you land.

Participant

Quote by: rvrbttm+archer

Quote by: hawkeye13

You need to have a legal tag for the area you a hunting (either filled or unfilled). If you have a first season Davis County Antlerless tag only you can only hunt in Davis County. If you have a statewide any sex tag first season you could hunt anywhere. If you have a landowner tag only you can only hunt on you land.

Seems simple and honest enough.

Participant

You cannot get a free landowner tag after you register your piece of property and hunt wherever you want. The free rule book laying on the counter where you buy your tags is pretty simple if you read through it and comprehend it.

Participant

Bottom line is if you wantto party hunt with your buddies on land that you don’t own, it will cost you $28.50. Pretty cheap fun if you ask me. I have no idea if the purchase of a combination of LOT’s can or will disqualify you from a gun season or not. I don’t own land so I am unfamiliar with that.

Participant

As stated by mhock, I am not sure since you have free land owner tags you are locked out of any other tags. You can go and try to purchase a state wide any sex tag ot a antlerless tag for the county you want to hunt.

I am almost positive that your free land owner tags are only valid on said farm unit.

You can call the DNR at 515-725-8200 and th ey can tell you for sure

Participant

I have 2 landowner tags for Gun 1 & 2 this year. I have been asked to tag along with a buddy’s group for 1st season. Can I hunt in a group on other land if I only have landowner tags?

No

Participant

Just buy a statewide 1st season tag, then you are fine. $28.50 like stated before.

Participant

Quote by: Shooter.250

As stated by mhock, I am not sure since you have free land owner tags you are locked out of any other tags. You can go and try to purchase a state wide any sex tag ot a antlerless tag for the county you want to hunt.

I am almost positive that your free land owner tags are only valid on said farm unit.

You can call the DNR at 515-725-8200 and th ey can tell you for sure

Even though a person has landowner tags which are only good for hunting their own property they still can purchase any of the other tags for any season available to the general public.

Participant

Quote by: flyfishr

You can call the DNR at 515-725-8200� and th ey can tell you for sure

Even though a person has landowner tags which are only good for hunting their own property they still can purchase any of the other tags for any season available to the general public.

That’s what I was thinking since you can purchase any number of antlerless tags. Are they
    still able to purchase a statewide anysex tag.

Although calling the DNR, I would think you get the right answer. But I did have a guy at work tell
    me he got stopped pheasant hunting and was told he needed a migratory bird stamp

Participant

Quote by: twdenney

You cannot get a free landowner tag after you register your piece of property and hunt wherever you want. The free rule book laying on the counter where you buy your tags is pretty simple if you read through it and comprehend it.

And a reply like THIS is exactly why I rarely post on here…I haven’t group hunted for a long time since I bought my own land, just asked a simple question. Thanks for your wonderful insight TWDENNEY…keep shooting blanks.

Participant

Quote by: flyfishr

You can call the DNR at 515-725-8200��� and th ey can tell you for sure

That’s what I was thinking since you can purchase any number of antlerless tags. Are they
    still able to purchase a statewide anysex tag.

Although calling the DNR, I would think you get the right answer. But I did have a guy at work tell
    me he got stopped pheasant hunting and was told he needed a migratory bird stamp

Yes, they are eligible to purchase the statewide anydeer tag.

Participant

“Landowner tag” 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.