Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Land locked public

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Do you need permission of a land owner to get access to land locked public land in Iowa the only access would be thru the private ground

Participant

Unless there’s a navigable waterway or easement, I’d say yes.  Does this type of land exist in Iowa?

Participant

I have a friend that is in real estate. He says there is no land locked land in Iowa.

Participant

Yes, there IS landlocked property in Iowa.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Yes, there IS landlocked property in Iowa.

I would agree, but not sure about landlocked public land.

Participant

What I have seen is that Public Land will have public access.  But you might need to walk a couple miles to get to the spot you want to get to.  OK if you are hunting squirrels or other small game.  NOT FUN if you shoot a deer and need to get it out.  Mile or 2 of rough terrain is NOT FUN!  I have toyed with the idea of boning deer out on the spot and only taking the meat out.  Not sure if this is even legal in Iowa.  Also a quality sled will make things a LOT easier.  Fix a way to tie deer in the sled so they do not fall out when dragged over downed trees etc.  Seen a few kids sleds yrs ago that worked well for others.  Now they have sleds specifically designed to pull deer out for not much $.

Participant

Sledman is right there is a law against land locked ground in Iowa. Therefore no land locked ground. If it goes in front of a judge its dictated by the shortest route from closest road.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by AvatarTally Ho.
    OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I say X 2 on what Dilliga said.  As one example is a 10′ easement in Marshall County to county conservation ground.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Find out where easement is for the public land your inquiring and you should be good to go. Minimum width on easements are 30′

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.