Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum lakemaster versus navionics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Will be buying the new 2nd generation helix 7. Everybody says buy the lakemaster chip sd card. Trouble is they are 150.00 dollars each. Our chip covers Iowa, Nebraska, but not MN, nor The Dakotas.

Guy told me if you buy the Navionics you truly get the Midwest, like Iowa, MN, the Dakotas, etc, all in one sd card.

I know that hummingbird markets the lakemaster and they make the helix. However helix will accept the Navionics.

Is the lakemaster chip really that much better than the Navionics? Just hate cbuying 3 separate chips. I will be fishing South Dakota occasionally and hope to do more in Minnesotta.

/Anybody own these SD cards. Just looking for advice or opinion. I know everybody has some. Thanks, Robbie

Participant

We have the MN lakemaster plus chip in a Helix 7 and it’s been great so far. I also bought a single lake map ($10) in another state from them and it worked well.

No experience w/ navionics except for the app on my phone.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: rericsson

Will be buying the new 2nd generation helix 7. Everybody says buy the lakemaster chip sd card. Trouble is they are 150.00 dollars each. Our chip covers Iowa, Nebraska, but not MN, nor The Dakotas.

Guy told me if you buy the Navionics you truly get the Midwest, like Iowa, MN, the Dakotas, etc, all in one sd card.

I know that hummingbird markets the lakemaster and they make the helix. However helix will accept the Navionics.

Is the lakemaster chip really that much better than the Navionics? Just hate cbuying 3 separate chips. I will be fishing South Dakota occasionally and hope to do more in Minnesotta.

/Anybody own these SD cards. Just looking for advice or opinion. I know everybody has some. Thanks, Robbie

I have the midwest lake master chip and like it a lot. I think you can purchase other lakes online seperately, so you only go to one or two lakes that are not on your card already.

Participant

I’m not sure on how Navionics is on lakes. I have the phone app and it helps some for ice fishing. But when it come to the Mississippi its not even comparable. All the Navionics has is main channel charting, anyone can navigate there. For that reason alone I would get Lakemaster. MUCH MUCH better!!!!!

Participant

I have the lakemaster cards and think they are great with awesome detail. I actually have 8 cards. IA, WI, MN and TX. I have one for the front of the boat and one for the back. They are great SD cards. I was thinking about upgrading to the Helix series. The Helix uses a micro SD card. I called Lakemaster thinking I could just pay a fee and upgrade to the microcard. NOPE. They say I have to buy all new cards. Which to me makes no sense, I own the data, I just want it on the micro card. So I will be sticking with my 900 series for a while. So that’s the good and bad in my opinion.

Participant

Quote by: river+rat

I have the lakemaster cards and think they are great with awesome detail. I actually have 8 cards. IA, WI, MN and TX. I have one for the front of the boat and one for the back. They are great SD cards. I was thinking about upgrading to the Helix series. The Helix uses a micro SD card. I called Lakemaster thinking I could just pay a fee and upgrade to the microcard. NOPE. They say I have to buy all new cards. Which to me makes no sense, I own the data, I just want it on the micro card. So I will be sticking with my 900 series for a while. So that’s the good and bad in my opinion.

I’d think a good computer engineer could transfer for you.

The one thing I don’t like with lakemaster single lakes, they need their own card. Can’t add to an existing state or other card. If you buy 7 lakes, you need 7 cards.

Participant

Looks like Lakemaster is the favorite,; guess they have the market and if you want there product get the checkbook out. Thanks for the info.

Sad to know that you can not upgrade. The software scam really is truly American free enterprise at its best. Thanks again. robbie

Participant

If you ever plan on having or adding iPilot link to your boat then go with Lakemaster.

Participant

I have both and prefer Lakemaster. Will add it’s newer than the Navionics.

Participant

lakemasters 1′ contour stuff is pretty ridiculous compared to navionics on the east side of the state of iowa.

holdemholdem
    Participant

Just use autochart live and make your own map. Put it on a blank sd card.

Participant

Lake master is good, color coding is awesome. Have to have lake master for any of the I Pilot stuff, but a Navionics + hands down is the best chip you can buy. I used to work with them in retail and have about every chip available from demos. Side by side the Navionics + hands down wins. I used to just play with the map cards in units when we were slow. It is different then the normal navionics. Its $150 and you get a blank sd card go online and can choose what you want to download. its 2gb which holds 4-6 states depending on size. You go online and can download wherever you want so you can get Iowa Minnesota Missouri and California if you wanted in one card. The quality of the lakes is different then the normal navionics to. There is almost nothing that isn’t 1ft contour on it. It has lakes lake master doesn’t even show water for. If you don’t need lake master for your minn kota and want all the maps you need in one purchase. You cant go wrong with the Navi +

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

I went with Navionics for the same reason you listed, and haven’t been disappointed.

Participant

I have an older navionics chip that I use in my boat. I have the capability to link to my Ipilot, but refuse to buy the Iowa and South Dakota lake master chip to do it. Lake master maps are very nice, but for the leisure fisherman that I am, I have found that navionics works just fine for me. They show all the contour and detail that anyone would need in my opinion.
    Best part is, one navionics chip will for sure cover any potential state that I will be fishing.

Participant

Lakemaster Plus Great Plains chip covers the vast majority of IA lakes, several popular pools on the Mississippi and Illinois rivers, plus popular areas in NE, MO, and the Great Lakes. It runs $150. Check it out here and click on product manual. (You will need to be able to open PDF)

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HCILIAP1/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.