Home Forums Miscellaneous Canoes, Kayaks, Paddling Kayak fishing and camping on the Des Moines River

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I floated the Des Moines river last weekend. I caught flatheads, wipers, white bass, and smallmouth, had a ton of fun, and definitely slept well the next night because I was wore out!

Participant

Those carp at the end! That would’ve been a blast with a dry fly.

Participant

Quote by: mbchilton

They were everywhere there was slack water! I’m scared to get into fly fishing. I’m afraid it would be hard on my wallet.

Participant

That is a good stretch of river! Great fishing when it’s low.

Participant

Quote by: katfish

Quote by: mbchilton

They were everywhere there was slack water! I’m scared to get into fly fishing. I’m afraid it would be hard on my wallet.

Nice!

Haha. Doesn’t have to. You can get an eagle claw fiberglass rod for $30. Add another $30 each for a cheap reel and line. Of course, you could spend a lot more if you wanted…

I guarantee if you caught one of those carp on a fly rod, you would be addicted.

Participant

Great Video!!!

My 14 year old and I have been wanting to kayak/fish/camp on the Des Moines River. It looks like you exited in Madrid? Where did you enter at?

Participant

Quote by: Pommer

Great Video!!!

My 14 year old and I have been wanting to kayak/fish/camp on the Des Moines River. It looks like you exited in Madrid? Where did you enter at?

I was actually further south than that. I’ve floated the stretch you’re talking about too though. Really good fishing, especially for walleyes and smallies. When we did it, we would put in at the Sugar Bottom ramp and take out at Madrid.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.