Home Forums Hunting Mushroom Hunting Just making sure these are Hens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have seen hens of the woods many times before but always dried out. Just want to be sure these are hens before I eat any. I found near the ground at the base of a dead tree.. could not tell if It was an oak but there are plenty there where i found it. the first two are how they looked before i peeled it apart the last one is in the sink.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Get a book or Google it. Please don’t ask on a forum for something that could kill you.

They look like it, but please reference it or ask a professional.

Participant

Well like I said I am about 99 percent sure they are just want an opinion from others.. I have looked at about as many pictures as I can and I dont know any one truely who is an expert.
    Google pictures have so many versions and different looking ones that its hard to pin it down forsure. this one is a pretty good site and it looks like the ones in his pictures. he says there is no look alike minus the ones with gills, the one i found definately does not have gills..
    http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles1.htm

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

I would help you eat them but that being said You need to be slow about it . Hens do keep well. Eat mushrooms only in small quantities.

Mushrooms are not easily digested; over-eating them is an easy way to get sick.

When trying a mushroom for the first time, eat only a small portion, and don’t try any new kinds for 48 hours. As with many foods, some people are sensitive or allergic to mushrooms commonly eaten by others. Individuals with known food allergies or sensitivities should be extra careful when trying new mushrooms.

Hens are my favorite and my cabin timber has been under water for weeks. I hope they come on strong when it stops raining. :mrgreen:

Participant

Yes thats the plan to eat a little and see how it goes..

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: drmac22

Well like I said I am about 99 percent sure they are just want an opinion from others.. I have looked at about as many pictures as I can and I dont know any one truely who is an expert.
    Google pictures have so many versions and different looking ones that its hard to pin it down forsure. this one is a pretty good site and it looks like the ones in his pictures. he says there is no look alike minus the ones with gills, the one i found definately does not have gills..
    http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles1.htm

That is the site I have been using as well. Enjoy the season!!

Participant

Yes they are and congrats! If they give you a stomachache l will take them. They have never bothered me, even when I have torn into them.

Participant

WallyMan are you near Swisher/CR? If so I would give you some.. I have quite alot. I think the bunch was about 10 pounds

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

Quote by: Wallyman

Yes they are and congrats! If they give you a stomachache l will take them. They have never bothered me, even when I have torn into them.

Just pay attention. I have a friend that ate tons of morels for forty years and now will get sick on just a taste. Hens are my favorite too. I make a hen and noodle casserole to die for. I dehydrate them and have hens year around.

Participant

Post your best Hen recipe if you care to share.. would like to give them a try in some kind of dish.

Participant

Anyone else finding any Hens of the woods? They were very fresh so maybe I will get out again this week to see if I can find more.

Participant

Anyone else finding any Hens of the woods? They were very fresh so maybe I will get out again this week to see if I can find more.

I am wanting to go look now, I am just south of you (Iowa City).

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

Post your best Hen recipe if you care to share.. would like to give them a try in some kind of dish.

I sent PM 😉

Participant

Sorry but these were found in Ringold co near Creston, I was down hanging deer stands and setting trail cams and came across them. I am not sure if they are out up here near Swisher/IC

Participant

second time out last year was first found 2 but wasn’t sure so sent to ISU for id come back ok today hit the jackpot 19 # now I don’t know what to do how to clean how to prepare how to store or freeze them any help would appreciated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.