Home Forums Hunting Artifacts and Finds Just a rock?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Found this in a small creek in SW Iowa while metal detecting this summer. I am very new to artifact hunting and was curious in seeing if anyone thought this was more than just a natural occurrence. one side is flat, thought that maybe it could have been the start of a point and never got finished. Probably just wishful thinking though.

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/30-HOT-06/library/?view=recent&page=1#

Don’t know how to upload picture hopefully url works.

Participant

Quote by: 30-hot-06

Found this in a small creek in SW Iowa while metal detecting this summer. I am very new to artifact hunting and was curious in seeing if anyone thought this was more than just a natural occurrence. one side is flat, thought that maybe it could have been the start of a point and never got finished. Probably just wishful thinking though.

Don’t know how to upload picture hopefully url works.

I looks natural to me from here.

Participant

Im thinking just a rock also but on another note just curious what your finding in the creeks with the detector. Anything good? I have done campsites while looking for arrowheads but haven’t done creeks..

30-hot-0630-hot-06
    Participant

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

Im thinking just a rock also but on another note just curious what your finding in the creeks with the detector. Anything good? I have done campsites while looking for arrowheads but haven’t done creeks..

I purchased my metal detector later in the season so I didn’t get to go a lot. I was in a creek on my parents property that runs underneath an old railroad, So I was mostly looking for old rail road stuff and old coins but so far I have only found toy cars that I probably left there from my childhood. will try to hit more spots this year, but my non metal goals include an arrow head and shark tooth. To think I logged so many hours playing in creeks and they were probably both right around me and I just never paid enough attention.

Participant

I purchased my metal detector later in the season so I didn’t get to go a lot. I was in a creek on my parents property that runs underneath an old railroad, So I was mostly looking for old rail road stuff and old coins but so far I have only found toy cars that I probably left there from my childhood. will try to hit more spots this year, but my non metal goals include an arrow head and shark tooth. To think I logged so many hours playing in creeks and they were probably both right around me and I just never paid enough attention

Keep looking and you will find them. Some creeks have them others dont. I look for ones with rocky bottoms that has a field in the area that is known to have artifacts in it. Note that this advice does not always hold true but its a place to start. I know some folks use their detectors in fields when looking for points but as of to date I have never found anything.Creek detecting I think would be very interesting. Thirty plus years of detecting I found my share of old coins and rings but I would rather be out in a field If it would produce better.. Good to hear from you.Let us know if you find some good stuff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.