Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello: Getting a dehydrator this week but won’t be deer hunting till the December season. I would like to make some jerky to find favorite recipes and learn the best way to do it but don’t know what cuts of meat would be best for me. Looking for advice. Good Luck . O – R

Participant

IMO the easiest way to make jerky is to grind it up, mix in the desired seasoning (I prefer Backwoods seasoning), and use a jerky gun to make strips on waxed paper that you can then put in the oven or a dehydrator. Just be sure to cut out as much, if not all of the fat that is present. If you want to make jerky from whole muscle, then the lean stuff from the hindquarters is typically a good way to go. You can basically prepare it from just about any part of the deer as long as it is lean and can be cut into strips of the desired size.

Participant

Check out Frisco Spices they have different jerky season package with instructions. Frisco is at the Deer Classic every year and have some really great samples to try.
    http://www.friscospices.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=jerky+seasoning

Participant

Jerky spices are one of those cooking things where the best stuff is often the store-bought/popular seasonings. That concept is normally backwards for other stuff (mashed potatoes, grilled hamburgers, etc) where the homemade combinations are better.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

I have done a lot of experimenting with Jerky in my Excalibur dehydrator. Honestly, all I do is use Kosher Salt and fresh ground black pepper…and maybe some red pepper flakes. Then place in the dehydrator for the required time (until it’s done). A lot of the soy-sauce based marinades are just way too salty. Excalibur actually recommends using teriyaki sauce, but the end result was a sticky mess to clean up, haha. You can also partially smoke the jerky on your Weber grill, or anything you smoke meat on..then finish it up in the dehydrator as well. I usually end up making separate batches of jerkey every fall- some for me, and some for my dog without the seasonings. She just likes the dehydrated meat, and the best part is that I know her treats didnt’ come on the slow boat from China 😆

Participant

Hello: I am not talking about deer for jerky as I don’t hunt till December. Just want to know what cuts of beef would work best for me until I get a deer. Thank You. O – R

Participant

flank might be what you’re looking for

Participant

Quote by: outdoorsron

Hello: I am not talking about deer for jerky as I don’t hunt till December. Just want to know what cuts of beef would work best for me until I get a deer. Thank You. O – R

Round is what you want. Like the above says, flank would be a good option too of course, but it is (generally) more expensive than Top/Bottom/Eye of Round. The round is the rear end and has the least fat and marbling, which is what you don’t want in your jerky.

Participant

Quote by: beniah1066

Quote by: outdoorsron

Round is what you want. Like the above says, flank would be a good option too of course, but it is (generally) more expensive than Top/Bottom/Eye of Round. The round is the rear end and has the least fat and marbling, which is what you don’t want in your jerky.

This I like whole muscle jerkey better just a personal preference. I would go with a Round steak myself. ALWAYS cut the meat cross grain, besides a few cuts for deer!

Participant

Another vote for muscle jerky. I like using High Mountain jerky cure/seasoning. GREAT STUFF. If you are going to be doing a bunch of jerky it pays to get an electric meat slicer.

Participant

Quote by: spencer52356

Another vote for muscle jerky. I like using High Mountain jerky cure/seasoning. GREAT STUFF. If you are going to be doing a bunch of jerky it pays to get an electric meat slicer.

Pro tip with a electric meat slicer. You want to slice with the meat mostly frozen.

I like high mountain. I made 10lbs a week ago I used the LEM stuff. I like their sausage mix but I wasn’t that impressed with the Jerky stuff. The jalapeno was better than the teriyaki.

Participant

Quote by: spencer52356

Also the favorite at our house. Very simple and very good, we like the hickory really well.

Participant

agree with Spencer, round steak makes very good jerky. a roast works good too, just requires more cutting and slicing. I also use Hi-mountain seasoning, I like to mix the mesquite and pepper mix 50/50, makes for very tasty jerky. If you’re handy with a knife, whole turkey breast works great also, just cut out the breast bone and slice it. Doesn’t require as much cooking time as beef cuts do either.

Participant

I use round steak and ask the butcher ( I get mine at Hy-Vee) to slice it thin and he is always happy to do it for me. Seems the older butchers at Hy-Vee know more than some of the younger butchers. But if they like what they are doing they will watch how the older guy does it.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I will also endorse the High Mountain Jerky Spice. My favorite is the Hickory flavored. I make most of my jerky from ground meat using a dehydrator. I use about half the recommended spice and cure and use a jerky shooter to make the thin pieces. I spray the trays with PAM so it doesn’t stick badly. I will mix in the spice the night before and let it stand for 12 hours in the refrigerator. Shoot it out with the jerky shooter and dehydrate on high, checking after 8 hours. I will let it dry until it gets to the point I like it which is still soft enough to bend without breaking. After finishing I will put it bags and place in the freezer until I ready to eat it.

Whip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.