Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Is SI worth it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking at a new depth / fish finder for my boat. Helix 7 is what I’m thinking. I really don’t open water fish that much but I do use it in Minnesota a week each year. I’m looking at the Helix 7 for the GPS screen size. Was wondering if Side imaging is worth the extra $100.00, I’m not sure the down imaging will do me much good either but I’ve never been around side or down imaging. My mind’s not made up by any means, who knows, before I’m done, I might have myself talked into the Helix ice 5.

Participant

Side imaging is great if you’re looking for fish or structure. I use mine in new water to locate structure like brush piles or submerged logs. You can cruise and area, locate those features, put a way point on them (from your SI) and then go back and fish those brush piles. Chances are kind of slim that you’ll locate a submerged tree or brush pile unless you go right over the top of it without SI. I wouldn’t be without it. Pay the extra $100, use it this way and you’ll be glad you did…even if you only use it once a year.

L8R…Ken

Participant

Don’t know were you’ve been looking, don’t know if they even carry the 7. Bought my Helix 5 DI/GPS combo from Jet for a bit over $228.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

If you fish submerged structure at all, the SI is priceless. You can find structure and mark it soooo much quicker.

Participant

We put a SI/DI combo on Dad’s boat two years ago. I wouldn’t go without it now – I’m even thinking about getting a lower-end SI for my jon boat.

Participant

SI is a great tool if you are a panfisherman in open water. but if you don’t fish open water, I’d say not really.

Participant

SI is will show you everything around you. Structure, breaks and fish. It’s the best tool in the boat.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

I’d say that SI has helped me catch more fish than any other electronic in the boat, except the trolling motor.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.