Home Forums Miscellaneous The Battlefront Is he hit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

the neighbors accidently spooked some deer my way this evening and I shot at the biggest buck in the group of 3. I took about an 70 yard running shot with my 50 caliber muzzy. I watched him run with the other buck and doe about 300 yards through an open cornfield and into a pine tree thicket. the buck I shot at had his tail tucked in between his legs which I think may indicate a gut shot but I was also not able to find blood. im going back to look in the am. what are your thoughts?

Participant

Quote by: CalebPete

the neighbors accidently spooked some deer my way this evening and I shot at the biggest buck in the group of 3. I took about an 70 yard running shot with my 50 caliber muzzy. I watched him run with the other buck and doe about 300 yards through an open cornfield and into a pine tree thicket. the buck I shot at had his tail tucked in between his legs which I think may indicate a gut shot but I was also not able to find blood. im going back to look in the am. what are your thoughts?

Did you find anything at all? Gut juice, tissue etc?

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

I agree that a hit deer usually runs with it’s tail down and a missed one has it high up in the air, but it isn’t a guarantee.

Participant

I shot a shed antler buck this last Saturday, gut shot and high, not a drop of blood, I knew I hit him. Luckily he folded up about 50 yards into the timber, turned out he was missing a hind leg below the heel otherwise he mighta made it further like yours. Keep looking he’s probably out there, good luck

Participant

Hello: My guess is you might have hit him , might not have. In my experience if a deer goes more than 100 – 150 yards you missed it or made a bad shot . As for recovery of the deer I would say a very small chance unless you have good tracking snow. Anybody else want to comment about my post with your own experiences ? Good Luck . O – R

Participant

Quote by: outdoorsron

Hello: My guess is you might have hit him , might not have. In my experience if a deer goes more than 100 – 150 yards you missed it or made a bad shot . As for recovery of the deer I would say a very small chance unless you have good tracking snow. Anybody else want to comment about my post with your own experiences ? Good Luck . O – R

With a muzzle loader you never really know. My son made a perfect shot on one this year and he went well over a 100 yards.

I once double lunged a doe with a bow and she went 500 yards. They can do some really amazing things.

Participant

Tail down does not mean a hit. I have seen mature bucks bust out of an area with a group of other deer being the ONLY deer that tucked and ran. They’re smart and I think they tuck to try to leave undetected. Good Luck.

Participant

Quote by: mhock

Tail down does not mean a hit. I have seen mature bucks bust out of an area with a group of other deer being the ONLY deer that tucked and ran. They’re smart and I think they tuck to try to leave undetected. Good Luck.

That, or they are smart enough to try and avoid a Texas heart shot.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Any updates?

Participant

70 yard running shot? How come nobody has questioned that part yet. Seems like a prayer to me. Just my two cents. Best of luck

Participant

Quote by: andyaklynn

70 yard running shot? How come nobody has questioned that part yet. Seems like a prayer to me. Just my two cents. Best of luck

Agreed completely. . . .

Sorry OP, but no one has any idea if you hit this deer. . . . Tail down means nothing. Hope you are able to get out there and look/find him………

Participant

I think we all agreed to accept the fact that we all do things we wish we hadn’t in the heat of the moment. Like a new year’s resolution. Except for the guys who never do anything wrong in the heat of the moment, they didn’t agree to nothing.

Participant

I guess I don’t have a problem with a 70 yards running shot in an open field.

I am not sure I would do it with a muzzy but I killed one like that with a 308 AR in wi a few
    Years back.

Participant

Unless you were there you really don’t know what the shot looked like do you? Do you know how fast the deer was running, no? A running deer can mean several different versions. Just saying before we armchair quarterback what others do, we shouldn’t assume what they mean.

Participant

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

I think we all agreed to accept the fact that we all do things we wish we hadn’t in the heat of the moment. Like a new year’s resolution. Except for the guys who never do anything wrong in the heat of the moment, they didn’t agree to nothing.

Those are the dreams that “participation trophies” are made of. Being called out (in a tasteful manner) will help remind him next time that a 70 yard shot with a muzzy at full run is a bit optimistic, if not borderline unethical. Of course we don’t know his history, for all we know he could practice those shots and is very good at it. And yes, I do make mistakes, and I have no issue with being called out on them. It’s how we learn.

Deer seem to react a lot different from a muzzy shot than anything else. None of the deer my wife and I have shot with a muzzy bled much regardless of where they were hit, but luckily they didn’t go far and were easy to find. If you are confident in your ability to pull off that shot, I’m guessing he didn’t go too far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.