Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Iowa wolf

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: phonzie

Is it only amazing to me that back in 1885 they eradicated wolves from the state ? I know they were very good hunters back then but they did not have the tools we have now. And no motorized vehicals. And way less open or cleared ground to see all the critters. Makes me think that there was not many here to begin with. Just a thought.

All so 130 yrs ago Iowa did not have the cover it has today. Only along rivers or creeks would you find a fair amount of cover in spots. I don’t think there were many to begin with in the 1st place.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: phonzie

Is it only amazing to me that back in 1885 they eradicated wolves from the state ? I know they were very good hunters back then but they did not have the tools we have now. And no motorized vehicals. And way less open or cleared ground to see all the critters. Makes me think that there was not many here to begin with. Just a thought.

There were 8 or10 homesteads per section. Buffalo were gone. Deer scarce. Bounties, wolves, coyotes, fox. I collected bounties on fox in late 1950s. Every farmer had a gun. A bounty was free money. Pelt, more money.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.