Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Iowa wolf

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

By looking at the picture of the guy by the animal ” if it is who I think it is he does alot of coyote chasing.”

Participant
    Up
    Down

Good for him, Iowa is no place for a wolf.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Here is what KWWL reported on this:

OSCEOLA (KWWL) –
    A large canine was shot in Osceola County by a coyote hunter on Sunday.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is examining the canine which resembles a wolf.

A DNA test will be done on the animal to determine the species.

Iowa DNR says DNA testing is necessary because many wolf characteristics are similar to domestic dogs.

The hunter shot the canine from 100-150 yards away as the animal was lying down.

When the hunter realized the animal was not a coyote, a local state conservation officer was called immediately.

The incident is under investigation.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I can show you 2 wolf crosses and both look like the picture. one is very people friendly and the other I would not trust to be around people. it is possible a cross got loose because there are several more in iowa. I would not either of the two I know cross breeding and having them run loose.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m going to say “Coydog”.
    The body looks like a large dog, but the head looks like a coyote.
    The teeth don’t look large enough for a wolf.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

From the picture it is a young gray wolf in my opinion. Hard to be sure when its lying down at 150/yards easy mistake to make. Well congratulations you are now a wolf state if you want more I bet the states with wolves would love to share. I know here in WY it would make lots of smiles to watch a truck load head east. 😀

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Whip

From the picture it is a young gray wolf in my opinion. Hard to be sure when its lying down at 150/yards easy mistake to make. Well congratulations you are now a wolf state if you want more I bet the states with wolves would love to share. I know here in WY it would make lots of smiles to watch a truck load head east. 😀

It took us years to even get a dove season because of all the bunny huggers who like them at bird feeders and don’t understand they are classified as upland birds. I can’t imagine what will happen in terms of management when those same granola munchers find out we have “beautiful, majestic wolves.” If I had livestock I would be gravely concerned. Plus depending on who you talk to our deer herd is already sub prime..

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

On no worries they will leave livestock alone and only kill the sick or weak deer. 😉

Whip

Up
    Down

It’s been a few years ago, I’ve been looking for the article, there was one trapped in that area also. DNA came back something around 95% wolf. No charges filed because it was a cross. That one was blacker than this one… It ran in a local paper, just can’t remember which town.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Congrats to the guy that shot the wolf. The DNR will tell you what they want to whether it is a wolf or not. They lied about them being here for years in WI, kind of goes with the mt. lions we didn’t have either, although they had a warning for deer hunters to be careful and watch for them. All I know is you better fight with all you have to keep them out of IA, they have really messed up hunting in northern WI, and I personally know a few ranchers that had them attack and kill livestock along with my neighbors dog that was attacked on the leash. Good thing was about the dog getting attacked is that a county cop was driving by the house and saw everything first hand.

Participant
    Up
    Down

If I saw a gray coyote shaped animal running thru brush I would default to Coyote and never think of Wolf. Also where I deer hunt we have dogs running thru the woods and have been told to shoot them on sight. Just my 2 cents.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Wolves are a HUGE problem in WI. I wish that they were never protected or introduced. The wolves in northern Wi are 2-4 times larger than the one shown. If it is tested as a wolf, Iowa may be in bigger trouble than you all think….. We have seen the deer population in northern Wi drastically decline since they introduced wolves and protected them. They have a very very very limited season on wolves in WI. For the longest time, you could NOT hunt coyote during the 9-day WI rifle season for the mistakes of shooting a wolf by accident. In WI, you get in big trouble for shooting a wolf. Whether an accident or on purpose…..

Participant
    Up
    Down

While talking to some men from MN, they said you get in trouble for shooting wolves right behind the front leg. If you shoot them right in front of the hind leg you won’t get in trouble.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

While talking to some men from MN, they said you get in trouble for shooting wolves right behind the front leg. If you shoot them right in front of the hind leg you won’t get in trouble.

Why is that?

Participant
    Up
    Down

The gut shot ones run off and die somewhere else so they are someone else’s problem

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

The gut shot ones run off and die somewhere else so they are someone else’s problem

Saw that one coming….. 😛

Participant
    Up
    Down

How long ago did Iowa lose its native population of wolves? Kenhump?
    Did an internet search and came up empty. Thanks
    Kev

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Kev-Cat

How long ago did Iowa lose its native population of wolves? Kenhump?
    Did an internet search and came up empty. Thanks
    Kev

DNR SAYS”.Iowa was once home to the Great Plains wolf and the gray (timber) wolf, but bounties and settlers who considered the predator a threat drove them from the state. Researchers conclude Iowa’s last wolf died in the winter of 1884-1885. It’s unknown whether a wolf shot in 1925 was wild or escaped from captivity.”

Participant
    Up
    Down

Is it only amazing to me that back in 1885 they eradicated wolves from the state ? I know they were very good hunters back then but they did not have the tools we have now. And no motorized vehicals. And way less open or cleared ground to see all the critters. Makes me think that there was not many here to begin with. Just a thought.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Back then, I imagine there was whole different mindset. There were a lot more people not wanting the wolf to compete with them and bounties were offer back then too.

google: was there ever a bounty on wolves in iowa

Example:

https://books.google.com/books?id=IuIgAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA137&lpg=RA1-PA137&dq=was+there+ever+a+bounty+on+wolves+in+iowa&source=bl&ots=9bXdQML6zS&sig=wbz9Lr9WWXKf_6BIHs4-0m-X0cQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrmPCGy9XJAhWG7iYKHUe9DLYQ6AEIRzAH#v=onepage&q=was%20there%20ever%20a%20bounty%20on%20wolves%20in%20iowa&f=false

And to think what I used to get paid for gophers feet at the court house.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.