Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Iowa wolf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Heard there was a wolf shot in NW Iowa.. Any truth to it?

Participant

Quote by: Pommer

Heard there was a wolf shot in NW Iowa.. Any truth to it?

Haven’t heard that but wouldn’t doubt it. There was one shot in Buchanan CO not that long ago, and another one somewhere near there as well (NE IA). Where at in NW IA? During a deer drive?

Participant

Yes it was shot around sibley and little rock. saw several reports talking about this already.

Participant

Pics are all over facebook. The guy was wearing orange so most likely was deer hunting. He said the DNR has possession for DNA testing.

Participant

Somebody post a link!

Participant
    jimneyjimney
    Participant

This was posted on Rock River Outdoors on Facebook.
    The shooter said it was mistaken for a coyote.

Participant

Wowsers, look at the long legs on that thing! So is this another case where it was mistaken for a coyote?

Participant

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing guys.

anyone know what happens to you if you shoot a wolf? I know technically you are not supposed to, but since they are SO rare, I have heard the DNR will let you off with a slap on the wrist if you cooperate and “turn yourself in” and supply them with the wolf for testing.

If you play nice and be up front about it, do you suppose they give it back? I know if I cooperated and was honest and all that good stuff I’d be pretty PO’ed if I didn’t at least get the skull or something.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

anyone know what happens to you if you shoot a wolf? I know technically you are not supposed to, but since they are SO rare, I have heard the DNR will let you off with a slap on the wrist if you cooperate and “turn yourself in” and supply them with the wolf for testing.

If you play nice and be up front about it, do you suppose they give it back? I know if I cooperated and was honest and all that good stuff I’d be pretty PO’ed if I didn’t at least get the skull or something.

Doubt they would give it back as otherwise it would set a bad precedent. This makes at least three wolves shot in Iowa in the past year and half or so. I expect they may start trying to educate the public and give out more than a slap on the wrist in the near future!

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Quote by: speng5

Doubt they would give it back as otherwise it would set a bad precedent. This makes at least three wolves shot in Iowa in the past year and half or so. I expect they may start trying to educate the public and give out more than a slap on the wrist in the near future!

I understand that completely. Just seems kinda crappy that you could be Johnny Do-Good and come to them with your wrongdoing and still be out everything. But alas, my generation is showing….only me/my peers expect rewards for doing what should be done anyway 🙄

And yeah, I get it, ideally you made a mistake even killing such an animal anyway.

Participant

Good. I hope they all get shot. Canada and Alaska are great places for them. The lower 48 is not

Participant

coyote sheperd mix? :mrgreen: 🙄

Participant

I would love to legally hunt a wolf!

Participant

I think south of I80 the feds might get involved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.