Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Iowa Rifle Special Seasons and Areas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was wondering if there are any special areas in iowa that will allow rifle hunting for special seasons or areas of the state and how to go about getting tags etc for it. I am very interested in filling up the freezer with some doe meat this year.

Participant

Quote by: montiironman

I was wondering if there are any special areas in iowa that will allow rifle hunting for special seasons or areas of the state and how to go about getting tags etc for it. I am very interested in filling up the freezer with some doe meat this year.

The answer is yes! Check the DNR site for special hunts. They have a good spreadsheet that has each zone, lists what type of weapon allowed, and a phone number or point of contact for information specific to that zone/city, etc.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Read the regs. Always start there, not an internet forum….

Participant

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Deer-Hunting/Deer-Management-Hunts

Here’s the link. And I should clarify probably what you mean by rifle. I was thinking just generally firearms but do you mean like a .243?

Shotguns, muzzleloader, and straight walled cartridge rifles would what you need to use, depending on season in most of those places.

Participant

Quote by: medicdano

So when is it ok to ask a question on here?

Participant

Quote by: lwh723

So when is it ok to ask a question on here?

I think the main problem here is that it is a hard question to answer,

1. Souhtern Iowa rifle season: probably gone forever
    2. Depredation type hunts: right place/ right time type thing, along with various rules to follow
    3. N.E. Iowa DNR testing type hunts: usually happen late in the year
    4. “Straight cased” rifle hunts: have been talked about all summer.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Huh? Dude, this is the exact reason for the site, to share and inform, responses like this is why a lot of folks don’t post, never dis someone asking questions, if you can’t contribute in a positive manner just don’t post.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: WapelloMark

Huh? Dude, this is the exact reason for the site, to share and inform, responses like this is why a lot of folks don’t post, never dis someone asking questions, if you can’t contribute in a positive manner just don’t post.

Sorry you feel that way. But when it comes to laws and regulations you need to read the regs. Getting the info from an internet forum will result in incorrect and incomplete info. Too many people feel they don’t need to read them or that they never change, which is no good for anyone.

Participant

Sorry you feel that way. But when it comes to laws and regulations you need to read the regs. Getting the info from an internet forum will result in incorrect and incomplete info. Too many people feel they don’t need to read them or that they never change, which is no good for anyone.

I get where you’re coming from, and agree Dano, but I for example ask questions here the same as I would if I was hanging out with some buddies in the shop or driveway. I verify in the regs. I think most people agree just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

Participant

Quote by: DILLIGAF

I get where you’re coming from, and agree Dano, but I for example ask questions here the same as I would if I was hanging out with some buddies in the shop or driveway. I verify in the regs. I think most people agree just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

This is exactly why I rarely chime in on this site anymore. The feller is asking for some info. It would seem to me that there should be some up to date people that use this site that could give guidance to the right direction to go to get the lawful, correct info. Such as the IDNR website or phone numbers for IDNR ect. Somethings on the IDNR website are not easy to navigate to or find if you haven’t used it a bunch. Let’s just help a feller out and be cordial about it and point him in the right direction as a couple have done on this post.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

So let me get this straight….Y’all are upset and “never chime in anymore” because I told him exactly where to go to find every definitive answer he needs and gave him a piece of advice to prevent him from getting in a lot of trouble by making a potentially illegal mistake?? I’m glad boniah provided the link, it’s difficult to do from a cell phone.

This forum is great for getting diverse advice, opinions, and experiences from many intelligent people. But we’re talking about laws and regulations, which for the most part are not open to interpretation or opinion. Everyone should read the regs for themselves and if they have a question ask a definitively qualified person (LE officer or CO), not a forum where you really have no idea who you are talking too and have no idea if that person actually interpreted them correctly, or read them at all!

Would you ask car repair advice from the lady at the quilt shop? Would you ask the car repair guy about a medical issue? Would you go to court without a lawyer? Sure, you can. But the chance of you getting screwed goes up significantly.

Mr Montiironman, all the information you need is in the regs. If you would like some input about a good firearm caliber to use, good public ground areas, or things like that then I know there are many people here that would have some very knowledgeable input for you.

Participant

I wouldn’t call this a negative answer. Rather, it is straight and to the point.

This isn’t a Hallmark commercial, it is a place where people ask questions and get answers for FREE. 😀

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

I wouldn’t call this a negative answer. Rather, it is straight and to the point.

This isn’t a Hallmark commercial, it is a place where people ask questions and get answers for FREE. 😀

It took me 4 paragraphs to say what you said in 3 sentences! 😆

Participant

I only use 3 or 4 fingers to type. 😀

Participant

Actually if you want to get technical, read the front cover of the regulations book. It says something similar to “This booklet contains most rules applicable to hunting and fishing but not all.” So technically you should be reviewing iowa code and a lot of other codes for the true letter of the law/rules. I think it’s starts around 481A for iowa hunting code. You may also want to check administrative code, city code, county code, and federal code if you’re doing urban, county/state park hunts, and any hunting on federal grounds (Refuge or Army corps of engineers grounds) Happy reading.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.