Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Iowa Lion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have lost track of how many yrs I’ve invested . Well up until the other day. When I found my “lion sighting map” here at home. My quest began in the Fall/Winter of 06. Et continues to this day.  I have personally interview & phone interviewed 70+ people as of this posting. A few other sightings have occurred in the last couple of yrs. For which I have not noted on my map.

My initial interest was in 1969. When my Dad took his coyote hound behind River View Park in Marshalltown one evening. He let his hound run along the river bottom. As day light dwindled his hound hit a hot track & took off further along the river. Dad did not happen to have a flash light. But found his hound baying below a large tree. He could not see what was up in that tree. Other than hearing a lion scream from above. He got a hold of his hound & worked his way back to his vehicle in the darkness.  It was quite a few yrs since I heard any news of a lion in Iowa.

During my quest I came close twice. To getting a shot at one. But things did not pan out those 2 days. Over the last 14yrs. I’ve read all I could find about Mountain Lions on the internet. I also visited via phone with a lion hunter in AZ. I have managed to find a few tracks a few yrs back. But nothing in recent yrs. I’ve hunted hard yr after yr. Looking for fresh sign. To either call one or get a shot at one, whichever.

I have spoken on the phone & in person. With farmers who have had a horse raked by a lion. One farmer had two beef cattle raked or mauled. Another guy had his large dog killed by a lion as per his dog Vet.

It has been said a male lion will travel his marked territory roughly every 2 wks. That may be true with some lions in some other states. But I have not found that to be true here in Iowa. Well, as of yet anyway.

Over the past 14yrs I have passed on many coyotes. In fact some of those I happened to run into other coyotes hunters & told them where I seen those bedded coyotes. As for me killing a coyote during my lion quest. I would give one a go. If it was unique. Such as huge or a very rare color phase.

Anywho the quest continues. Not for lack of determination & effort on my part. B)

• This topic was modified 6 days, 12 hours ago by Avatarcoydog.
    WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hunt on Ev. I had one cross the highway 1/2 mile from my home here in Northwest WY. Another neighbor 3 miles east of my house lost 5 young buck sheep to a lion last fall. He ended up catching three lions last winter with dogs and traps. Even with large numbers of deer available they will still kill livestock especially sheep.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

I plan on it Jim. Last 4 yrs have not been ideal. It would snow 1-4″ then be gone in a wk. Hopefully this Winter we get snow & it stays.  I admit it is hard to pass on all of the coyotes. Been awhile since I thumped one.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I passed a coyote last week hunting chuckars with my son and grandson. Didn’t have a rifle (shame on me) and wasn’t going to educate him with a pistol. 50 yards is a chip shot with the 22/250. Considered dumping glock 22 magazine and thought better to wait. Good luck with weather it’s been unseasonably warm here.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

To date, Jim. I’ve seen 6 or 7 black ones. Et all red & an all yellow coyote. Red as in apple red & yellow as in banana yellow.  Both the red & yellow coyotes were on the large + side. The yellow one had very large ears. He was a beaut! Both had a white underside as per usual.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This fall while bowhunting I had an all white coyote sneak through. Of course I missed him but they are difficult critters to get an arrow in, they never quit moving.

I am going to take the trusty Haydel’s Govt Hunter tube call out this winter and see if I can get in front of him with the rifle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.