Iowa Ethanol and non-Ethanol Gas Prices??? 2018-07-04T09:36:56+00:00

Home Forums Miscellaneous Love it….Hate it… Iowa Ethanol and non-Ethanol Gas Prices???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

One thing I’ve noticed when traveling out of state (missouri last week) was that the price of normal non-ethanol 87 octane gas is the same price is ethanol up here.  But in Iowa the non-ethanol 87 is like 30 cents higher than ethanol???

It use to be the ethanol and non-ethanol in Iowa was a few cents difference, why did that change?  Why is non-ethanol in Iowa so much more expensive, when the states around us haven’t changed???

I use mostly ethanol but do have some stuff that doesn’t like it, either because of plastic parts or because it gathers moisture and gums up.  So curious why we’re paying so much more for non-ethanol 87 here????

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Participant

They are forcing us to use ethanol and are phasing out non-ethanol fuel. Most of the Casey’s around Des Moines have already dropped non-ethanol 87 and some don’t even carry regular 91.
    IMO the price difference is so they can gouge us for the already overpriced fuel that we don’t even want to use. Iowa produces nearly 25% of the countries ethanol yet we have highest prices. In simple terms, we’re getting ripped off.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

A few years ago Iowa passed a $0.30/ gallon tax on non-ethanol gasoline to promote ethanol fuel. That being said, just because its not marked in MO on the pumps doesn’t mean you are not buying ethanol. You have to specifically ask the station manager if the fuel has ethanol or not. Here in Canton there is 4 gas stations and only one has a non-ethanol blend, and its the premium blend that is $0.75 higher.

primitiveprimitive
    Participant

Maybe Iowa is pushing cornahol.

primitive

WhipWhip
    Participant

Headed to Iowa Monday so I can scout out prices on the way. I know all my vehicles get better mileage with non ethanol fuel. Was told here that it’s a federal law they have to add ethanol. Claimed that local refinery has to ship in ethanol which raisies the price.

Whip

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

Headed to Iowa Monday ….

If you have time look me up!

CJ
    Participant

Wife and I went to a family reunion at Grand Lake and drove out in her 2016 RAV semi-hybrid.  Gas was about $126 round trip using premium, no ethanol.  Went over the pass and were at 32 mpg going up, 99.9 going down.  It’s been said that you do get better mileage with premium regular gas but does the increase in that mpg outweigh the increase in price of the regular gas versus ethanol.  Haven’t had a chance to do a real comparison because driving patterns are so eradicate between town and hwy driving.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

As far as I know Medicdano is pretty close to it.  Iowa pushes ethanol so they put a big subsidy on it which makes it a lot cheaper.  I’d say if your car is not knocking on reg. non-ethonal then reg. priemium won’t make it run any better just cost more.

jnrbronc
    Participant

Iowa leads the nation in ethanol production, say no more.

Why are gas prices going up when eminent domain was used to push the Dakota access pipeline across Iowa?  I thought that project was “in our best interest”.  Yeah, right….

kenhump
    Participant

All about taxes.  Basic math.  Ethanol has less btu’s.   My van is flexible fuel.  Going to see how well it likes E85 one of these days.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

During the summer my silverado (5.3L flex fuel) gets about the same gas mileage with E15 ethanol and non-ethanol 87 (I haven’t tried E85 in it).  It runs right around 20 mpg mixed driving if I keep my foot out of it.

But in the winter the ethanol’s mileage tanks and there’s a good 3-4 mpg difference.  The non ethanol 87 drops to 19 mpg in the winder while the ethanol drops to 16 mpg….

Jawilor
    Participant

My F150 can run E85, but the MPG suffers.  I ran the numbers and it has to cost about 50 cents per gallon less that E-15 to make up for the difference.

oaxaca
    Participant

Corn needs to go away.  That would get rid of the crappy ethanol, the compromised food supply full of corn syrup, and the polluting farmers all in one shot.  Win, win, win.  Sorry farmers, it is what it is.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Participant

While I agree that corn based fuels and the desire to grow the product they are created from have had a drastic effect on our environment and health, if corn “went away” so would nearly 50% of everything you own or use.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

I quit using ethanol gas in my 20 yr old Chevy pickup … a couple days burning regular the check engine light went OFF, and it started firing up better,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.