Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Inline ice reel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Beginning to research inline ice reels to replace my Pfluger spinning reels. What are you using, pros and cons? What would you buy again or not buy again? Thanks in advance!

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

I own 2 of the Eagles, as do my fishing buddies. There may be better reels, but ive never used one. For less than $30 you can’t go wrong.

Participant

Favorite one I’ve tried is the Frabill 371. Wanted to buy another this year, but couldn’t find one, not sure if they still make them or not. I have CGI, not bad but a little heavier and a longer stem. I tried an Eagle Claw, seemed about like the CGI, but I must have got a bad one, because it was nothing but problems

Participant

I have 2 Eagle Claws. I had problems with one and had to make an adjustment. The other one worked fine out of the box.

They take a little getting use to but I really like them now. The thing that bothers me most about them is the star for the drag seems large. I am always hitting it on something and the drag gets changed.

Participant

Quote by: learnin2eye

Beginning to research inline ice reels to replace my Pfluger spinning reels. What are you using, pros and cons? What would you buy again or not buy again? Thanks in advance!

main reason for inline is line twist. Best reels i’ve found for ice fishing are Tica BB800 or GV500. Only spinning reels i’ve run that don’t screw up in the cold. Screw up meaning it gets so cold the anti reverse on many reels seizes up. you set the hook and your reels spins backwards. All my Pflueger presidents back spin. They are a great, cheap reel for summer but are garbage on ice.

Participant

i have used all the inlines. starting from okuma fly reels all the way to last year using the freefall.

i only have 1 left and i hate using it. I’m back to spinning reels. in the 5 or 6 years that i attemped, near forced myself to get into the inline game, my fishing partner never budged and its been a rare occasion in which i outfished him due to the dreaded “line spin”

nothing is more frustrating than fishing in 20+ feet of water and having to strip line off the reel to get your bait down. most of their drag systems are not as good as spinning reel systems either. Also some of the ones like the eagle claw the line can get wrapped around all wonky and can be quite frustrating.

the free fall has been the best one i’ve used but obviously you’ve got a near 100 dollar price tag there.

Participant

One thing to consider with them and I found this out trying a eagle reel is how you like to hold your pole and reel fish in. For example, I like to hold the reel when jigging in what I call the pistol grip which is just holding the reel and not the rod. If you hold the rod like a handle most will work for you.
    If you are a pistol grip guy like me some reels have the spool exposed so your palm will prevent the spool from moving. Some have spool guards so your palm doesn’t stop the spool. The eagle doesn’t work too well for my style but I have modified how I reel fish in.
    I believe the black betty styles have spool guards on the back so might be a better option for me.
    Hope that makes sense.

Participant

One primary reason I was thinking about the inline is line slipping off the front of my spools on the spinning reels. Another option is going to braid as it doesn’t have this problem in my experience. I have used PowerPro in small test successfully on my ultralight trout rigs without much issue. Wind knots are my only primary issue, not a challenge with ice fishing.
    What braids work best with ice? I primarily fish in a heated shack of some type.

Participant

I switched to the Black Bettys. They have limited the jig spin somewhat. This season I tried 100% floral carbon line. Do not like how it works with the Black Bettys.
    In my opinion it doesn’t stay tight to the spool. I have the 6061, freefall, and the ghost. with the flora carbon I have trouble with it jumping over the spool and getting wrapped around the spool nut.
    Wanted to use the line all season to see if I could make it work. Going back to monofilament next year.
    The Black Bettys have a long learning process to make them function how I think they should. I always finger the spool and strip the line rather than use the free fall aspect.
    With the freefall and Ghost I have to use the pencil grip, which is its own learning curve. I had trouble with the two handle crank so I cut one off. With a glove on they work great.
    Would I recommend them? Borrow one and try it

Participant

I have an Eagle Claw also and do not care for the star drag as it seems like it is always out of adjustment. Lately I have been running a little heavier line or braid on my reels and to make them more invisible to the fish in very clear water I have been using a number 12 barrel swivel and tying on 30 to 36 inches of 3 lb test leader which to tie my lure onto. After a few times fishing or catching a bunch of fish I will just shorten the leader by what ever it takes to retie the knot until I get down to around 20 inches, then retie on a 36 inch new leader again and start over. Hope you can follow this.

Participant

One primary reason I was thinking about the inline is line slipping off the front of my spools on the spinning reels. Another option is going to braid as it doesn’t have this problem in my experience. I have used PowerPro in small test successfully on my ultralight trout rigs without much issue. Wind knots are my only primary issue, not a challenge with ice fishing.
    What braids work best with ice? I primarily fish in a heated shack of some type.

Panfish, I run power pro, 8lb – 1 diameter in high vis yellow. Otherwise shallow water i use all Gamma Ice 3lb or Pline Floro. Asso makes a phenomenal line as well, high breaking strength. Its very pricey but very good.

Participant

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Deep water Panfish, I run power pro, 8lb – 1 diameter in high vis yellow. Otherwise shallow water i use all Gamma Ice 3lb or Pline Floro 3lb. Asso makes a phenomenal line as well, 2lb has like a 4lb strength. Its very pricey but very good.

Participant

Thought I would try them too. I had them for 2 years & have those cheap black HT reels for like $16. The line is a lot straighter but… I hate that you have to pull line out by hand to get down quickly. Reeling in is 2X slower. And if you don’t hold the spool w/ a finger it will actually reel line in as you jig. I will be going back to spinners.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.