Home Forums Hunting Dog Training in ground fence

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anybody have any experience with in ground fence i would would be fencing in just over an acre for a german wire hair. it would only be for when we are around not all day even when we are gone. any experience with them is appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

Issue is will keep your dog in,but not other dogs, canines.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Spent almost a Grand on our system for our Golden. Well spent $$$. He will NOT leave our yard.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

For the most part they are reliable. The biggest problem I’ve had is the dogs learning to run thru it, especially males. I prefer the kind that is plugged in an outlet and emits a signal to the collar. When the signal gets low is when the collar beeps or shocks. So The collar will keep them near the house.

Participant

Easy to do and the best money you can spend. I bought the sportdog one for 300.00 and and extra collar for 79.00 or something like that and rented a edger for 50 bucks and spent a few hours putting it in on my acre. Dog will not bust through it. I have a high strung Vizsla and a Great Dane now and both never question it. Even when I let the chickens out and they walk around on the other side taunting them. I have had 4 dogs and none have ever busted through it after they learned it. Wait the Vizsla did once, I watched him prep to run through it. I turned it up so it was running a bigger perimeter and it has never happened again. I tempt him all the time when I go to the neighbors he hates it when we work in his driveway and he cannot get to us. Dont pay to have it installed or to have them train your dog. If you have a bird dog you should be able to do it. It just requires a lot of walking around the yard. Easy.

Participant

Spent $1,200 on my invisible fence. It’s invisible fence brand. They install it and train your dog. They guarantee it. Had my control box hit by lightning and they replaced it at no charge. Know a few people that went cheap and have had problems or have had it not work.

Participant

Quote by: medicdano

For the most part they are reliable. The biggest problem I’ve had is the dogs learning to run thru it, especially males. I prefer the kind that is plugged in an outlet and emits a signal to the collar. When the signal gets low is when the collar beeps or shocks. So The collar will keep them near the house.

We have one of these and if you have a decent size yard they are great. It has made our life so much easier with this dog. She liked to run haven’t had one issue since we got the thing.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

I’ve kept two dogs contained now with my system and they are worth every penny. One bit of advice- they come with instructions on how to train your dog to it the first couple of weeks to a month. FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY. I know several people who have installed these systems, and not done the training, and their dogs learn quickly how to get out. If they are trained properly, you won’t have this problem.

Participant

I have a Dog Watch system and it works great. I had my system (1.7 acres) work through 2 britts and now the 1.5 year old Lab, 19 years. Had it installed professional, but I trained the dogs, per the set plan. The brittanys would challenge the fence about once a year. Recently we extended the boundary to keep the lab out of the flower gardens. That was a great move for use.

Steve

Participant

I used a wireless system. Dog figure out her boundary in a couple days. Don’t even need it now.

Participant

We had a wireless system, and now have an in-ground system. Both work well, but we like the in-ground better due to the shape of our yard. My son put the same system in at his house and when he comes down to visit with his dog he brings her collar so he can let her run with our dogs in the yard and not worry about her. That’s pretty handy.

Participant

Invisible fence was in the yard when we bought the house. It works Great have had 3 dogs in it and they all know exactly where the boundry is and never push it. They pretty much wear a path at the edge of it. Have had deer in the yard and the dogs gave chase up to the boundry then stopped. Deer now know the dogs will not chase them and they taunt them just out of the yard its actually kinda funny. Great investment.

Participant

Follow up question has anybody done/seen it out in a conduit? My fear is the wire getting cut or nicked and the chances of finding that I would say are slim. I bought the 14 ga wire system which should help. At a minimum I think I’m going to put it in conduit in my driveway

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.