Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Quotations IDENTIFY THIS PLANT

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yup, poison ivy. Poision ivy can look like a little tree growing in pasture, and as previously stated will grow up anything. Most vines on trees will be poison ivy or poison oak.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Yup, poison ivy. Poision ivy can look like a little tree growing in pasture, and as previously stated will grow up anything. Most vines on trees will be poison ivy or poison oak.

Participant

Well it’s definitely not marijuana. Not that I’ve seen that before.

Participant

File photo of the flowers of Poison Ivy.

Participant

Yep that is definatley Ivy I wouldnt climb that tree naked if I were you :mrgreen:

Participant

Close up of the fllowers on there. Thanks for the info. Now i am just wondering why nothing happened when i thouched it.

Participant

Quote by: iceking25

nah we dont need to battle. Sumac and Ivy are kinda simaler, problem is ivy and sumac they have different looks Yes we have Sumac in iowa. Either way they are both equally bad I just stay away from both.

Leaves of three leave it be.

This is a good sight to reference has alot of pictures of alot of different types of Ivy sumac, and oak. a good reference.
    http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=tove

You realize you posted a link to a site saying poison sumac is not found in iowa?

Participant

Quote by: conroy_01

Close up of the fllowers on there. Thanks for the info. Now i am just wondering why nothing happened when i thouched it.

Do you know your allergic to ivy? If you touched the woody climbing vine, you’re ok. You need to get the sap on your skin.

Participant

Do you know your allergic to ivy? If you touched the woody climbing vine, you’re ok. You need to get the sap on your skin.

Am pretty sure i am allergic. That was another thing that threw me off any other poison ivy leaves i have seen have had the sap or oil on them and none of these do. I have even seen people get a rash from poison ivy after getting the oil on them from petting a dog.

Participant

Unless the plant is damaged in some way it doesnt produce the oil that causes the rash. Although I dont think it takes muck for that damn plant to get damaged. I saw a leaf the other day with a couple of bug chew marks on it and it was all oily, made me itch just looking at it.

Participant

I was going g to say the same thing, TallGrass.

There are 2 species of poison ivy in Iowa but no poison oak or sumac. One is more shrub like and the other more vine like but either species can look shrubby or viney. There can also be a lot of variation in leaf shape which causes a lot of confusion.

That is definitely poison ivy though. Just because you don’t get a rash this time doesn’t mean you won’t some other time. I can walk through a stand of poison ivy wearing shorts and have no reaction but it doesn’t mean I’m going to rub it in my eyes for fun. Stinging nettle gets me really bad though. I’ve jumped in a river to try to stop the burning once.

Participant

Quote by: TallGrass

Quote by: iceking25

nah we dont need to battle. Sumac and Ivy are kinda simaler, problem is ivy and sumac they have different looks Yes we have Sumac in iowa. Either way they are both equally bad I just stay away from both.

Leaves of three leave it be.

This is a good sight to reference has alot of pictures of alot of different types of Ivy sumac, and oak. a good reference.
    http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=tove

You realize you posted a link to a site saying poison sumac is not found in iowa?

I don’t see that? I see where it says unreported?

We have sumac in Iowa, not everywhere.. but it is out there.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Conroy I’m not affected by it at least so far and I’ve heard a few others aren’t. Maybe your in the same boat.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

I agree that is poison ivy, and my advice is don’t press your luck. Most likely it won’t bother the skin on the palms of your hands, but if you are alergic it will most everywhere else. If you get sap on you try to wash it off fairly soon, at least before you go pee. 😳

I believe there are very fiew naturally occuring vines in iowa, and 95% of what you encounter especially in wooded areas will be one of the 3 poison ivy, virginia creeper and wild grapes.(all 3 look totaly different). I can find bittersweet too, but usually I have to look for it. (it’s fall orange & red berries are very ornimental). There are a few others, but I spend lots of time outdoors and enjoy identifying plants and the 4 vines I mentioned are the only ones I’ve ever found.

As far as alergies to the sap. People can have an alergy to most any plant but it doesn’t mean there are any plants that everyone is alergic to. The 1 exception might be wild parsnips which I think is more of a burn than an alergic reaction, and most people have some kind of reaction to poison ivy & nettles. (but not everyone) Personally I never had a reaction to poison ivy until I was over 40 and got into a big patch in the spring turkey hunting, but now I have to be a little careful around it. Nettles only bothers me for a few minutes and the few times I found poison sumac (white berries) I experimented lightly with the sap and it didn’t bother me at all. However I know people who claim they react in a very violent rash to either type of sumac. Heck, I know a guy who breaks out if he has physical contact with deer hair/dander 😉 .

PCIPCI
    Participant

Quote by: IaCraig

I agree that is poison ivy, and my advice is don’t press your luck. Most likely it won’t bother the skin on the palms of your hands, but if you are alergic it will most everywhere else. If you get sap on you try to wash it off fairly soon, at least before you go pee. 😳

I believe there are very fiew naturally occuring vines in iowa, and 95% of what you encounter especially in wooded areas will be one of the 3 poison ivy, virginia creeper and wild grapes.(all 3 look totaly different). I can find bittersweet too, but usually I have to look for it. (it’s fall orange & red berries are very ornimental). There are a few others, but I spend lots of time outdoors and enjoy identifying plants and the 4 vines I mentioned are the only ones I’ve ever found.

As far as alergies to the sap. People can have an alergy to most any plant but it doesn’t mean there are any plants that everyone is alergic to. The 1 exception might be wild parsnips which I think is more of a burn than an alergic reaction, and most people have some kind of reaction to poison ivy & nettles. (but not everyone) Personally I never had a reaction to poison ivy until I was over 40 and got into a big patch in the spring turkey hunting, but now I have to be a little careful around it. Nettles only bothers me for a few minutes and the few times I found poison sumac (white berries) I experimented lightly with the sap and it didn’t bother me at all. However I know people who claim they react in a very violent rash to either type of sumac. Heck, I know a guy who breaks out if he has physical contact with deer hair/dander 😉 .

I saw a young lady a few years ago that had taken the weed eater to wild parsnip in shorts. Her legs looked like they had been in a fire. If you get parsnip sap on you stay out of the sun tell you can shower.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.