Ice shack and heater questions2008-01-02T12:04:31-05:00

Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Ice shack and heater questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just bought an Eskimo 2-man shack today. Is it a good idea to have a sheet of plywood or something for flooring? I’m also looking for a good heater, like some of you are. I’m open to people’s opinions on these questions. Also, I’m getting a Marcum VX-1 from a friend. Is this a decent unit for somebody that is still somewhat new with ice fishing? Thanks for any ideas!

Participant

vx 1 should be good enough for a unit for any angler, if you dont have to pay much i would be thrilled if i was the person getting one. I got a fl 8 and dont plan on up grading it does everything i need it to. I am pretty sure they are pretty close to the same units in comparison. Did you get the Quick flip II? I just got one of them and love it! As for the flooring, yeah your feet tend to get a bit colder than in ones with a floor but not to bad I dont use one just bc i dont want to drag it out with all my other stuff being that i dont have an atv to drag it with. That is something that is up to you, I think over the yrs of hunting and fishing i have grown tollerent of cold feet. My feet get cold and even kinda hurt but it really dosent bother me anymore i just keep about my buisness and for get about it as best i can. I would recomend getting your hands on a buddy or big buddy heater they seem to work well and last a bit longer than my Mr heater I have gone through about 4 of them in 2 yrs there is a part that breaks so the heater wont run right and it is as much as a new heater to replace.

d00buckd00buck
    Participant

Congrats on the new shack! B) If you get cold feet, I would suggest something to put your feet on…plywood may be a little heavy tho. Floormats or a carpet sample would lighten the load! The Buddy heaters are nice in that you don’t have to worry about putting a hole in your shack if they get too close to the canvas, but the Procats or sunflowers will work too and are a lot less expensive. The VX-1 should make you a nice flasher to start out with, and may end up being all you need! 😉

Participant

That VX1 is just as good if not better than an FL8. As far as heaters I prefer a sunflower heater/cooker with remote tank and hose assembely.I dont get why you need a floor is this a flip over or suitcase style? If its a flip over you can carry a couple peices of stryrefome to put your feet on but with a heater you wont be bothered much by the bare ice and its less stuff to deal with carrying. Runners would be a good idea to add to makes pulling in snow easier.

Participant

The Quick Flip II actually pulls nicely even on the snow. I would also not suggest plywood for warmer feet. I use a Buddy heater in my Eskimo and with decent boots like Ice Kings, I never notice my feet being cold. Good luck with the fishing; I think you’ve made good choices – now find the fish and get them out of that cold water and into some hot oil!

Participant

I’ve got great boots (Ranger), so I’ve never had a problem with cold feet. My problem is sweaty feet! I have a sled that will work well to carry my gear. My shack actually packs up and I can carry it on my back if I have to. I set it up in my living room tonight and only took me a couple minutes, so it’s easy and fast to set up. Can’t wait to give it the first test! Probably going to give it a go Saturday. Buck, have you ever fished Ada Hayden or Peterson Pits through the ice? I’m only 5 minutes from each of them, and want to try them out. Otherwise, I go to Hickory Grove. I also want to try Big Creek if I ever have the time. I also want to try Brushy Creek, but for now I think that’s a pipedream. After fishing Lake of the Woods, my expectations are too high for around here, especially for walleye. Thank you all for all your input! Has anybody used the new Flyin’ Rattl’r lures from Northland? I loaded up on them and hope I made a wise investment.

Participant

3/4 x 6 x 12″ pine works good and not to big. pretty good whacker when you need it too. just something to keep your boots up off the ice. not to steal your post. but anybody use the “arctic boot shields”?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!