Home Forums Fishing Panfishing Ice out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Im wanting to get into crappie fishing. I have been reading alot on here and also been watching youtube videos. My question is what bait should i use or try when we get ice out, i know the water temps will be cold but im getting anise to go fishing. Any hlp or suggestions would be appreciated.

Participant

Small jigs 1/32-1/64 with a piece of a crawler or small minnow work good for ice out crappies. Color can be important depending on the water you’re fishing so make sure you have a variety.

Participant

Would plastic jigs work at all?

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Quote by: moose07

Would plastic jigs work at all?

We normally will use small tube jigs tipped with a small minnow shortly after ice out. Color can really make a difference for sure. Crappies can be very finicky that time of year.

Participant

Thanks. Now its time to go tackle shopping! Hopefully in a week or two ice will be out.

Participant

Ice isnt going anywhere anytime soon, next week highs are suppose to be back in the low 20s during the day. I wouldnt count on being able to open water fish in mid-February. Even if it warms up theres usually a week or two period between when ice becomes unsafe and when you can start throwing jigs in open water.

Participant

I like Killer Jigs brand that you can find at Scheels. They have a tube with a green body with pepper flakes and a chartreuse tail that works really well in farm ponds with average clarity.

Look for ice-out/pre-spawn crappies near drop offs in shallower coves and bays after a couple of sunny days have warmed the surface water. You will likely catch a lot of bass before the crappie bite starts. My FIL caught a ton of bass in late February and March last year.

Participant

Marabou jigs, plastic jigs, tipped jigs I would make sure I have all of plenty of those! 1/64th and 1/32nd seem to work best. I usually like 1/32nd jigs most of the time. 1/16th cast better and work better when needing to fish deeper.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Marabou jigs, plastic jigs, tipped jigs I would make sure I have all of plenty of those! 1/64th and 1/32nd seem to work best. I usually like 1/32nd jigs most of the time. 1/16th cast better and work better when needing to fish deeper.

And a big gay vest…. 😀

Participant

Quote by: bowfisher

And a big gay vest…. 😀

If I had feelings, that would have hurt them :mrgreen:

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

And a big gay vest…. 😀

If I had feelings, that would have hurt them :mrgreen:

LOL just trying to livin’ this joint up!! No disrespect intended mr Denim! HAHA 😀

Participant

Tube jigs are great, but I use tungsten jigs tipped with minnow or even wax worms and have caught lots of crappie in March during ice out. They love chartreuse, or jigs pink in color. Tiger colors also perform well. Dont be afraid to put on float with tungstne jig fishing in shallow waters. The big females are hungry that time of year. If you find the school be prepared to put some in the bucket. robbie

Participant

And a big gay vest…. 😀

You a homophobe bro? Get that crap out of here, no need to get disrespectful on a crappie thread.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

I’d have to say you are the homophobe, gay can mean happy, you are the one insinuating it has a homosexual meaning.
    I usually keep my mouth shut but am tired of hearing your unwanted comments. Guys were having a good time and you have to stir it up.

Quote by: jereseib

And a big gay vest…. 😀

You a homophobe bro? Get that crap out of here, no need to get disrespectful on a crappie thread.

Participant

Quote by: cowboy

I’d have to say you are the homophobe, gay can mean happy, you are the one insinuating it has a homosexual meaning.
    I usually keep my mouth shut but am tired of hearing your unwanted comments. Guys were having a good time and you have to stir it up.

Quote by: jereseib

And a big gay vest…. 😀

A good time making fun of homosexuals? Yeah, sounds like a great time to me. What comments are you tired of “Cowboy”. You mean the hunndreds where Ive helped people around central iowa with fishing spots.

And im sure it was meant as a “happy comment”. You think I was just born yesterday?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.