Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Ice early this year I hope

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Gearing up for this ice season looking at new Jiffy 6″ hand auger. But not sure, redoing how things are packed etc. Wondering what others are doing to get ready.

cowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Charging batteries.  Saving up for an ice bundle to put my Garmin 9sv in!!!

hotrod
    Participant
    Up
    Down

With the current forecast, it is definitely time to get things ready.  Still a good bite going on in the boats, but need to start getting some weekend trips written in stone.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by hotrod.
    MisterPerch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My gear for ice fishing is “old guy cheap” for the most part. My one expensive item is a helix 5 g2 ice pack to replace my old green box fishfinder. The shelters are 1st gen HT 2 person tent and 1 man flip over. Auger 10″ cobra, saw the same one at the old strikemaster museum in Big lake MN. Other auger 4″ lazer w/drill adaptor and B&D 1/2″ drill. Cheap folding seat, old poles and tipups that belong in a museum. Old Coleman lantern, but a nice big buddy heater. My cane is marked to measure the fish. This is why I started last year with the helix upgrading 1 thing a year. I love to fish & ice time is the best.

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I fish alone so like years in the past it will probably be January before I venture out on the ice.  December always has its cold spells and then melts again.  Of course we can always hope.  Vexilar has been charged thru the summer so I guess a few waxworms and I’ll be

ready.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

live4fall
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I live on the Mississippi near Lock 12, so as long as the boat ramp is open I am usually chasing walleye. Like MisterPerch, most of my ice fishing gear is older and cheap. Grandkids are getting older and really interested in fishing but I think this time of year on the river would be to cold for them. Probably should start updating some stuff and get the tent and heater out again.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Teddy Roosevelt

MisterPerch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Right now 4 to 5 inches of ice on clear lake but some spots with less. The coming weeks cold weather forecast should bring plenty of ice by new years day. With how busy work / family is that will my 1st serious ice fishing this winter.

Greg 57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

No early ice in Central Iowa.😣

Greg 57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Does anyone fish near Meadow lake?

If so what is the ice like in that area?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.