Home Forums Hunting Reloading I want to learn how to reload

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The title says it all. I’ve been a shooter for years, but don’t know the first thing about reloading. I’d like some info on where to get started. Thanks for the help.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I just started this last fall. I didn’t know anything about it really. My suggestion is to get a couple of reload books with the stats, etc. Then search you tube. There are all sort of instructions on there. When you have the equipment, jump in with both feet. But watch and I mean really watch your measurements, and weights. There are some really experienced loaders on here that may help you and go to the the forum feature on this site and read all the info there. I started with some middle of the road priced equipment, just in case I found it wasn’t for me. I do enjoy it during those long winter days especially. Good luck.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Most of the bullet manufacturers have reloading books.Hornady, Nosler,Barnes, and Sierra all come to mind.The first part of these manuals usually has detailed information on case prep and sizing and occasionally die set up.There is information on important subjects such as excessive pressure, head spacing, and priming issues.They of course also list various loads for different calibers and components.These books are usually available wherever reloading supplies are sold.i would recommend picking one up.

Up
    Down

If you’re close to Ames, I’d be more than willing to help. I reload pistol/rifle plus cast.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks guys!

Participant
    Up
    Down

YouTube has many videos on reloading.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Get a manual, label everything and keep good notes. I like to have one powder out at a time.

I use quite a few butter containers to hold brass. Different calibers and different processes of being loaded. Clean, sized, belled (pistol and cast bullet) primed, etc. I use labels made from old primer boxes to label everything, easier to start where you left off last time 😀

I also made load blocks for range testing so I can load a few and test them as I go and keep everything written down. Handy to have a block with 20 holes or so and marked in rows so you can shoot a group and know just what the powder charge was.

Great hobby, and you will get the satisfaction of loading your own. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Watch youtube, there’s some great vids on there. Also, Lyman’s 49th edition reloading guide should be a first book you buy, as it goes over getting started prepping your brass, setting your dies, etc. It’s a great book and the one I would get before all the brand specifiic books. But, yeah, that’s how I got started. My recommendation would be to get a nice RCBS reloading kit and get to work.

drifty4drifty4
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Read a couple of loading books first. Soak up all the information that you can find.

Then on the bench, sort everything. Double check everything.

Only one powder, one type of primer, and one type of case on the bench at a time. It is too easy to make a mistake that you may really regret.

Don’t allow any distractions while reloading. If you are getting distracted, stop and come back later. It is too easy to make a mistake that you may really regret.

Always double check your scale settings. It is too easy to make a mistake that you may really regret. ( you get the idea )

Don’t try to out think the book, just follow the instructions.

Reloading is a great hobby, a great way to relax and enjoy your free time. There is a real sense of accomplishment in knowing that the ammo that you took that trophy with was made with your own hands.

There is a wealth of information here on this site, on the powder manufacturers sites, and on the bullet manufacturers sites. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

As far as equipment goes, Start simple, a single stage loader similar to the RCBS Rockchucker is a good place to start. You may never need to go beyond that for a loader. I am still using the same press that I started with. It has a lot of miles on it, but still works like new.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to your new addiction. :mrgreen:

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Up
    Down

I’ve offered to teach anyone close to the Ames area for help. I use a Dillon 550 and Hornady single stage.

Participant
    Up
    Down

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-to-get-started-reloading-ammunition/ Lots of good info there, I just saw it today. Like others have said, get a book and read it, you’ll learn a lot very quickly! Lyman’s 49th has a wealth of knowledge in it, and when you buy a kit it will come with another book most likely. The how-to section of it will tie your brain into a knot until you actually lay hands on the equipment, it’s actually easier than it seems when you are just reading. If you’re in SW Iowa I’d be happy to show you my setup and let you get some hands-on, even load some ammo if you bring or replace components.. but I’m in the middle of nowhere so it’s something of a hollow offer if you aren’t in the area.

For good starting sets, if you are going to load a rifle caliber a lot, an RCBS Rockchucker kit is hard to beat, but if you are looking to shoot a lot of pistol rounds, a Lee Classic Turret is a huge timesaver, and can be set back to single stage for the occasional rifle round or for working up a load. I started on a Rockchucker and added the Lee Classic Turret later on. Having both is great!

Have fun, good luck, and don’t get too carried away buying things, it’s easy to do!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I will add:
    Be organized. Write everything down in a dedicated reloading notebook and write notes as you go. Label everything. Avoid distractions while loading. I use printer paper with targets printed on them so I can save them in a 3 ring binder. Start low and work through the specifed range until you find a good load or see pressure signs, don’t just pick a load and go with it. See what brands your local shops carry. Research before you buy. If you don’t know or are not sure ask. Be safe and have fun.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Great Information !!!!! New to reloading also, looking to pick up some good pointers, this site has a acurate, experienced information available.

Thank You All for your input.

RGD

Participant
    Up
    Down

I so far have just been a one caliber loader. It can be a challenge loading for more than one gun,but if they all chamber and go bang,you are half way there.I load .45 and am just gonna put together some .38 to try.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would note to start with quality, but basic, equipment. I’ve seen too many guys go out and buy a progressive press and other automated pieces that are unnecessary for the amount of shooting they do, and require infinite adjustment and maintenance to make it unenjoyable and complicated.

And of course, if something seems weird or doesn’t look right- just sit back and think logically (what increases pressure, what decreases pressure).

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m fairly new within the last year and bought the Lee Anniversary set. It will get you going for around $150. I didn’t use the powder measure it came with, but its certainly capable.

As others have said, lots of good videos on youtube and even some on this specific kit. Not a bad idea to find someone in your area and sit with them for an hour. You don’t need a progressive press to start. A single stage will do just fine until you are settled in and decide you want to do mass quantities.

I am only doing rifle calibers for accuracy reasons so the most I’ll do in a loading session is 50 rounds.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Me too, I just bought a press. I went with the Hornady Lock & Load AP. Grafs.com has a deal where you get a free set of walker game ears and hornady has a get loaded promotion which will give you 500 free bullets if you purchase a press during 2014.

Here are some resources I have found:

https://archive.org/details/Modern_Reloading_1st_Edition_by_Richard_Lee\

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=33

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-to-get-started-reloading-ammunition/

Once you’re edumacated, here are some resources to help you develop some loads:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

I did a lot of research and comparison on pricing for equipment, grafs.com and midwayusa.com seem to generally have the best prices.

I am still looking for a good local source for powder and primers in the Cedar Rapids area, does anyone have a suggestion?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Great advice guys… lots of it too! Thanks again.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m in far NW IA, and I’m more than willing to help someone learn too. Mostly use a Dillon 550, but I’ve done my fair share of reloading on the Lee single stage kit when I started off also.

Participant
    Up
    Down

im from storm lake area and willing to help

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.