Home Forums Miscellaneous General Banter I, Caveman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone watch I, Caveman on Discovery?

The atlatl darts were pretty neat. Too bad they didn’t delve into the flintnapping and weapons a little more.

I wonder if they got a special permit to hunt elk with the atlatl, last I knew it wasn’t a legal means of take.

Participant

A few years ago they started a season in PA, idk if it still goes on…

Participant

That was a pretty neat show, ready to watch more of it

Participant

Quote by: Weekend+Warrior

The atlatl darts were pretty neat. Too bad they didn’t delve into the flintnapping and weapons a little more.

I wonder if they got a special permit to hunt elk with the atlatl, last I knew it wasn’t a legal means of take.

I believe in certain states spears and stone points are a legal method of take. Iowa is not one of them. If you look in places like 3 Rivers Archery you can buy pre-made stone points that are produced to a exact weight that are +/- within 5 grains of each other. I always thought it would be neat to take a deer with true traditional stuff, long bow, cedar arrow and stone point, just can’t do it here in Iowa!

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I believe in certain states spears and stone points are a legal method of take. Iowa is not one of them. If you look in places like 3 Rivers Archery you can buy pre-made stone points that are produced to a exact weight that are +/- within 5 grains of each other. I always thought it would be neat to take a deer with true traditional stuff, long bow, cedar arrow and stone point, just can’t do it here in Iowa!

You cant shoot a deer with a self bow and arrow?

Participant

Quote by: bigheadhunter

Quote by: Maverick

You cant shoot a deer with a self bow and arrow?

You can, those are legal, just not a stone point. That’s what I have been told, so I’m not 100% sure on that, you may want to check the regs.

Participant

Ok just curious, I know they have knapping classes that you can take to make your own points. I guess Im not sure either on the stone points though. Who woulda thought that they have classes for knapping, I always got in trouble for napping in school lol

Participant

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadheads+Points+Primitive++Hunting+Point_c57_s219_p0_i4299_product.html

Here is a link to some points for sale. It also notes that they are not legal in all states. Would be neat to take a deer with sometime! 😀

Participant

I watched both episodes of that last night. Pretty interesting, the whole primitave survival and all. Especially found the group dynamics interesting, and how things changed as hunger set deeper and deeper in.

Participant

I like how they had to do a group vote on whether or not to move the group to a better location. Where do you sign up for stuff like this? I want in!

Participant

Did anyone else notice that all the elk in the herd were bulls?

Participant

I like how they had to do a group vote on whether or not to move the group to a better location. Where do you sign up for stuff like this? I want in!

Probably the closest you’d come is taking one of Cody Lundin’s survival schools, but yeah…. it’d be pretty sweet to be a participant in a study like that.

Participant

Quote by: dkwolf

Probably the closest you’d come is taking one of Cody Lundin’s survival schools, but yeah…. it’d be pretty sweet to be a participant in a study like that.

Cody is a fruit cake!! But that would be quite the experience as well lol

Participant

Quote by: dartsportsteve

Did anyone else notice that all the elk in the herd were bulls?

And how they pretty much walked up to them. I am guessing they were livestock elk. I also didn’t like the fact how they walked up to it as it was suffering and threw a couple of darts into its guts before one hit it in the lungs. Other than that it was an ok show.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

I’ll give my 2 cents on this one. I thought the premise if the show was great and I was really looking forward to seeing it. After seeing it I wish I had my 2 hours back.

First, 10 days? Really you cant last 10 days? And the show was crammed into 2 hours? What, there was nothing interesting going on that it couldn’t last longer than that?

Second, the “professionals” seemed so contrived. Even the simplest things were exaggerated to try and add drama to the show, which I never saw.

Third, the elk were clearly livestock. No way can 4 – 6 people just walk up to a herd of elk and throw an arrow in an animal let alone hunt elk in the summer. And what’s up with it hitting the animal under the chin? That thing would have thrashed around and ran and busted the shaft of or tried till it was covered in blood. It just stood there, like it was tranquilized.

Finally, under the titles of what people did for a living the one guy was listed as “Bowhunter”. What he was a professional bow hunter? Guess this was an added scheme to show how hard it really was. My guess was the cast were all actors. Anyway what I thought was going to be an interesting show was nothing more that a show that shed bad light on real outdoorsmen and unnecessarily prolonged the death of a great animal for “good “TV.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.