Home Forums Hunting Upland Game Hunting this Friday, need help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have family coming for a hunting trip this Friday. Where we were going to go (Clark county) is looking like rain. Looking north to Cerro Gordo it looks like it will be snow but all I see up there for Upland is Union Hills WPA and McIntosh. I’m studying the Hunting atlas but I don’t have time to drive up and scout between now and then. Any public upland suggestions within a 1 hour circle of Mason city? At this point I’m just throwing darts at the DNR map to guess where to go to shoot some late season pheasant. Any help appreciated…I’m looking at the Hunting atlas now but I’m unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks in advance

uhansen6uhansen6
    Participant

Take a look up near Forest City (should only be 30-45 minutes from MC) there is some really good ground NE of Forest City that I’ve hunted before and had some good luck on in years past. Also there is Coulter Marsh south of MC just off the Hampton exit that usually has some good winter cover of cattails as well as shelter belts and food plots. Both would be worth looking into I’d think.

Also in Franklin/Butler county SE of Mason City you have the West Fork hunting areas as well. Have seen/shot birds in all of them, just haven’t hunted any this year to provide more accurate ideas.

Participant

I’m not sure where you are coming from, but Dunbar Slough in Greene county SW of Jefferson has plenty of birds in it. You will need good dogs and strong legs due to the snow, but there are good bird numbers over there if you have the stamina and determination. There are hundreds of acres of mixed habitat and food plots, and the birds are flying to adjacent open fields early and coming back into the cover mid-morning. The migratory bird refuges are also now open to pheasant hunting, and the birds are roosting tight in the semi-frozen cattail marshes. If you choose to hunt them in there you will need knee boots at the least, and I would recommend insulated hip boots. We were breaking through up to our knees in mud last weekend.

Good luck!

Participant

North Eastern Han*censored* and the counties it butts up to east and south of Forest City, has tons of public.

Participant

We gots some pretty good snow up here, not going to be easy walking.

Participant

Quote by: Ihuntcurs

North Eastern Han*censored* and the counties it butts up to east and south of Forest City, has tons of public.

Yep, check Eagle Flats, which is a lot of public CRP, plenty others around as well.

Participant

Bailey Creek, BeaverDam, Ringneck, Walch, Zirbel Slough all County Conservation Board and DNR areas that are 160-320 ac tracts within 5 miles of Union Hills WMA. You should have plenty to walk with these.

Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

I’m not sure where you are coming from, but Dunbar Slough in Greene county SW of Jefferson has plenty of birds in it. You will need good dogs and strong legs due to the snow, but there are good bird numbers over there if you have the stamina and determination. There are hundreds of acres of mixed habitat and food plots, and the birds are flying to adjacent open fields early and coming back into the cover mid-morning. The migratory bird refuges are also now open to pheasant hunting, and the birds are roosting tight in the semi-frozen cattail marshes. If you choose to hunt them in there you will need knee boots at the least, and I would recommend insulated hip boots. We were breaking through up to our knees in mud last weekend.

Good luck!

Thanks for the details. We’re not lacking determination or stamina and we’ve got 2-3 good to great bird dogs. We’re coming from Dubuque and Des Moines we’re just trying to get far enough north that we’ll be dealing with light snow instead of light rain for an all day hunt. Thanks everyone else for the suggestions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.