Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Hunting the rut

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This is actually my first year bowhunting and I am contemplating taking some time off from work specifically to hunt during the rut. Seems there are different phases of the rut and, although there are average dates, it doesn’t exactly happen during the same period every year. What do you typically look for and what types of strategies do you use (i.e., rattling, grunting, etc.)?

I was able to locate an article that seems to provide a brief summary of the different phases, when they might occur, and what strategies work best during each phase:

http://www.prohuntersjournal.com/article/?a=27

This was somewhat helpful, but they tend to generalize quite a bit. If you had to pick, what might be the best dates to go out and try to take advantage of deer movement during the rut? If it helps, the area that I plan to hunt is located in North central Iowa.

As a side note, the link above talks about Nov. 6, 2014, as being the “Rutting Moon” and suggests it as a good day to be off work and in the stand?! Anyone familiar with this concept?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Halloween-Thanksgiving would be the best place to start. As I can only hunt weekends, I am going to be in the stand as much as I can the 8-9th and if I don’t tag out the following weekend I will be hitting it hard.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I checked the article again and it describes November 6, 2014, as the “Rutting Moon” and suggests it is a good day to be off work and in the stand. That looks to be on a Thursday this year, so I’m wondering if I should take off Thurs-Friday that weekend and hit the stand hard or wait till a bit later in November.

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I prefer the pre-rut and post-rut the most. Sometimes the heat of the rut can be very exciting or very frustrating. If the big boys have Does locked down they don’t move very much and all you see is a bunch of small bucks on the move.

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d take as many days off that week and/or the beginning of the following week as you can. I have taken the first week of November off the past three years to trap and bow hunt. I’ve consistently seen a lot of rutting activity that first week. The last two years I would see mature bucks seeking/chasing during mid day while I was traveling from property to property to check traps, as well as a lot of evening activity in the picked corn fields and timber edges.
    As a matter of fact this year if I haven’t tagged out by then, I’m going to pull my traps a few days and just concentrate on sitting in a stand all day.

Participant
    Up
    Down

This year I don’t have enough vacation due to some other obligations to take all the days I normally take. Normally I will be off Nov 7-12 no matter what. This year I’m only taking the 10-12 off. It’s going to kill me being at work on the 7th, but no way I’m missing the 11th and 12th. Those two days every year are great for me. Maybe that’s because I’m always in the stand all day those two days.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I will be tired as a dog I don’t work from October 25th until November 17th i plan on being in a tree a lot and running a few traps 🙂 I expect the best hunting to be close to the 15th as it usually is.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Exciting days to come. I was out this morning, glassing and checking trail cameras. Nov. 6th is a great day to hunt, I have a nice ten on the wall harvested on the 6th back in 2006. I have scheduled the following days off to be in the stand; Nov. 10 & 11, 13 & 14 then 16 – 18.

Couple of ideas, be in early and stay all day if you can. As for lock down, not every good buck in your area is locked down at the same time. Keep in mind bucks have been radio tracked to rome as much as 3 – 4 miles a day during the rut in search of a doe. It’s not uncommon to have bucks come into your area from their home range miles away. When that doe is at the height of her estrus, she is spreading that alluring oder that is going to attrack every buck in the area. Last year I watch a very good eight chase a doe within 20 yards of my stand, breed her, right on their heal was a busted up ten, chasing both of them. The race was on, grunting, snorting, busting brush, went on all around my stand for ten minutes. I don’t put a lot of stock in the idea of lock down. Yes we see that lone buck and doe off by themselves, away from all other bucks, until another buck gets a wiff of that hot doe, and they will be on the move. Lock down is not as thoe, he picked her up Friday night at the local picked corn field, took her home to his place and locked the door and they didn’t come out until Monday morning.

Get in the woods, watch your scent, use a safety harness and have a great season.

P.S. I read article on deer hunting in one of the magazines, and I remember a comment this hunter made. If you have a good deer population in the area you are hunting and are finding good sign. I qoute “the longer I sit here the better my odds are of seeing a shooter deer”. That’s a good encouragement, when trying to sit all day. However you sometimes have to adapt and move to a different stand location or move your stand.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I hunt around the Osage area and the best 2 days for me historically have been the 7th and 11th. I’m taking Nov. 8-16 off personally, although I wish I could get an extra day off and hunt Friday the 7th. Good luck!

Participant
    Up
    Down

This is for Madison and appanoose counties, but I would say anywhere from October 30th-November 10th would be best. Narrowing it down further I would say the 3rd to 7th have been the best days for myself and the people I hunt with.

Up
    Down

I took the 31st to the 9th for my vacation time from work.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for all the suggestions — I’m thinking I might take off Nov. 6th-7th and try to stay in the stand for most if not all of those two days if possible.

I’ll actually be using a ground blind at this location — I will probably wait to get a climber such as the Summit Viper next year because they are a bit pricey. Will it make a big difference if I am using a ground blind instead of a treestand?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Thanks for all the suggestions — I’m thinking I might take off Nov. 6th-7th and try to stay in the stand for most if not all of those two days if possible.

I’ll actually be using a ground blind at this location — I will probably wait to get a climber such as the Summit Viper next year because they are a bit pricey. Will it make a big difference if I am using a ground blind instead of a treestand?

The ground blind might hinder you more than help. To keep yourself concealed you’ll have the windows in the back of the blind closed. During the rut, bucks will appear out of places without trails and often straight behind you.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

[/QUOTE

you could get a big game climber from Menards. They are under 100 bucks. A bit heavier than a summit but it get you up a tree. Then when you get the viper you could leave the cheaper climber at base of a tree for a different wind. That’s if you are hunting private but I have seen guys do on public

Participant
    Up
    Down

I took the entire week of veteran’s day off, give or take a few days either way will be a good time. I have four stands on the property that I hunt
    and ended up shooting my buck last year out of my ground blind. I will put out another ground blind this weekend at a spot I think will be good.
    Ground blinds work very well and after it has been there for a day or two they don’t pay any attention to it. Good luck to everyone the fun is about to start!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.