Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Hunt with bro

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

One Winter wk-end my bro. If I recall it was the Winter of 82-83. He came down from MN to hunt for 2 days. Good snow cover & the temp was around 20 deg or so with a NorWester wind around 15-20. It was also Sunny out. My favorite type of hunt day. We seen 9 coyotes & 5 Reds. The most I’ve ever seen in 1 day. He walked in on a few, but missed. I told him there was 1 more good section I wanted to glass. As I stopped at the Norwest corner of that mile section.

Out a 1/4 mile, I seen a stout all gold looking coyote. It was faced quartering away from us, facing down-wind. When I zoomed in on him. I thought what the heck is that. It looked all coyote. But had a very stocky build, broad muzzle, thick chest & a medium puffy looking tail. It also had arrow pointed, short up right ears. Looked to me to be a coyote hybrid. 1st one I’ve ever seen in the wild.

As I panned around more. Off to the canines West. I seen a pr of ears sticking up. I figured they were  paired up. I dropped bro off South of the pair. He got to with 200yrds or so. They spotted him & took off in separate directions. The hybrid crossed the roadway to my South. The other canine, a smaller mousy grey coyote cut due West. I hit the hybrid as it angled away & rolled him. He regained his footing & took off at high speed. Eventually looping around a large hill. Then cut back to the Norwest towards an abandoned farm sted. In the middle of another adjoining mile section. I went out to where I knocked him down. There on the snow was a handful of pink frothy blood lung chunks. So I knew the exit hole was on the large size. That canine ran, then walked almost 1 mile out to the abandoned farm. There it made a large blood swath as it crawled under an old machine shed.

Looking back on that hunt. I wish I had put another bullet in him right quick. But when I knocked him down. I watched him for maybe 30 seconds & he could not get back to his feet. I figured he was down for good. From that hunt on. When I knocked one down. If it was not a lethal shot. I put another one in him.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatarcoydog.
    OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Enjoyed the story Ev.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Enjoyed the story Ev.

Thanks oldbear.

I 1st got into predator hunting Fall/Winter of 64. We hunted you’re area(SC area) for Red Fox with our greyhounds. They were thick back then. We seen our 1st coyotes, Winter of 68 out you’re way. The coyote/dog hybrid above was sighted 4 miles NorEast of SC. During my hunt yrs in that area. I seen 2 other hybrids. All were on the large size. Each one was remarkedly different. But all of them were on the large size. I suspect some or all of them were bred & then released or escaped into the wild. Some Iowans don’t know. But back in the 60’s-70’s. There were numerous “hybrid breeders” throughout Iowa. I recall looking at the Sunday Register dog adds. Seeing many coyote/dog & wolf/dog hybrid pups for sale for many yrs. I have wondered throughout the yrs. What became of all of those hybrid pups?

I also know of some dog/coyote hybrids over in the Garwin area. Many yrs ago. There was a litter of them that either were released or escaped into the wild. One was shot by some coyote hunters. It weighed 65 lbs. One of those hunters had my Dad look at it. He said it looked all coyote. But was very large.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatarcoydog.
    WhipWhip
    Participant

I also enjoyed reading about the hunt. I bet you didn’t have your 243WSSM. I had similar experience with a coyote I punched with a 223 but I got lucky and found him the next day. They are super tough. I remember seeing a coydog back in southern IA in the winter of 1973. It was nearly black in color. We didn’t get it but got a good look.

Whip

Participant

I also enjoyed reading about the hunt. I bet you didn’t have your 243WSSM. I had similar experience with a coyote I punched with a 223 but I got lucky and found him the next day. They are super tough. I remember seeing a coydog back in southern IA in the winter of 1973. It was nearly black in color. We didn’t get it but got a good look.

No I didn’t. For one season I used a .223 mini. About as accurate as a paver brick? IMO. But I managed to put 1 .223 55 gr Rem SN, quartered into it’s chest. Looking back, that hunt bothered me for many yrs. For not quickly finishing him off.  That canine was so rare to me.  I figured not many yrs ago. I’ve seen 3000 coyotes +/- & a handful of hybrids. Last hunt (as for hybrids) I was hunting with a member on here “Rooster”. We seen 1 hybrid that looked to be mostly coyote but had long flowing hair, like a Collie dog. Only reason why we seen it was. A farm tractor was moving large hay bales out in the middle of a mile section & kicked it up. A yr or two after that sighting. I ran into a coyote hunter/trapper in the same area. I told him about that long haired coydog. He smiled & told me he seen it up around New Providence one day. Not long before he & I met up.

Participant

Off topic, but Whip, do you have an email address I could contact you on about a WY antelope/muley hunt?  I have always respected your style on the site over the last several years, and I would love to pick your brain about good places for my brother and I to hunt in 2021.

Thank you in advance!

Joel

[email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.