Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening How your garden doing??

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: Madison+COunty

Tomatoes are doing great, have 6 plants that are loaded with them. Serrano pepper plants (2) are producing nicely. Not sure what to do with them, it’s my first year growing them. Jalape�±o plants are struggling a bit.

Serrano’s ferment nicely for hot sauce or just pickled peppers.

I’ll have to try pickling them. I’m limited on time and that sounds tasty. I’ll look online for recipes tonight. Might have to can tomatoes Sunday, I just picked 38 today.

Participant

Doing well so far. Lots of vegetables and flowers are there. Looks so nice.

Participant

Growing weary of the garden. Still need to dig potatoes. Tomatoes and green beans are cranking, but we have lost motivation to pick/can/freeze. Should rip out the plants. Pepper plants are loaded, lots of varieties. Cleaned up the cider press last weekend and have 12 gallons on hand, froze some for later. Tons of apples on the trees, might slice some up, sugar and spice them for pie filling and freeze them. Mosquitoes are terrible lately, also killing the urge to work outside.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

My garden is really slowing down. I ripped out the summer squash. Ripped out the roma plants. Green beans still slowly kicking along with peppers. Eggplant is doing great. I love my herbs this season but I feel compelled to cook elaborate Italian sauces taking up an entire evening for spaghetti. Ripped out most of my tomatillas as they are really not producing now. My last thing on the harvest calendar for me is brussel sprouts. They are doing ok and I will wait for a frost or two before harvesting that.

I will probably dry some oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary in the food dehydrator. Does anyone have tips on drying herbs?

Participant

Tomato’s still doing great! I have probably picked over 100 tomato’s off of 6 plants this year and they are still coming, plants are over 7 feet tall. Picked 30 just yesterday. Green Peppers seem to have caught their 2nd wind, they didn’t do much over the summer during the heat, but ever since things have cooled off I have many green peppers. Jalapeno’s still doing great also. Still not sure what killed off my cucumbers in mid-July, but thinking it must have been the heat or something. Have canned several jar’s of dill pickles, pepper jelly, tomato’s and salsa!

Participant

Quote by: oldstylelight

My garden is really slowing down. I ripped out the summer squash. Ripped out the roma plants. Green beans still slowly kicking along with peppers. Eggplant is doing great. I love my herbs this season but I feel compelled to cook elaborate Italian sauces taking up an entire evening for spaghetti. Ripped out most of my tomatillas as they are really not producing now. My last thing on the harvest calendar for me is brussel sprouts. They are doing ok and I will wait for a frost or two before harvesting that.

I will probably dry some oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary in the food dehydrator. Does anyone have tips on drying herbs?

I pack my dehydrator trays full of herbs, let it go until they are brittle and crackly. Then I process them with a wire strainer, and crush it through there into a bowl then put in an air tight container.

Participant

I am going to rip out my tomatoes this week, probably clean up a few other areas. My fall garden is doing good, Lettuce and carrots are going great.

Participant

Quote by: vettefanatic

Great broccoli year… freezing more than I ever have. Canned a bunch of tomatoes so far & 10 gallon of sauerkraut going. Have mole and pocket gophers that go under my peppers and potatoes. Tried ultrasonic stake, reppellant, and smoke bombs. Next step is to bury plastic 3 feet deep around my 20 by 40 garden. �

Could be you need to treat for grubs. They draw moles like magnets. Pocket gophers are more likely dining on roots.
    Squirrelscan raise he’ll with pepper plants for some reason. Had big problems in the cits with them.

Participant

Done for the year

Participant

Finally dug potatoes last Sunday, sorted them out between bakers, general use and new potatoes, with these being some of the bakers. Had maybe 75 lbs from a planting half a 3 lb bag of store bought Russets that went bad in the garage.

Tomatoes winding down, diminishing in quality.

Lots of peppers to work with yet.

Participant

Good looking box of peppers! my anaheims wont turn read! I have roasted a bunch and want to dry some red ones!

Participant

my last roasting ears came out yesterday. tomatoes and peppers growing good yet. rest of garden is covered with soybeans I tilled in when I took out the crops to provide weed coverage and maybe some N. Oh, and one volunteer watermelon I am hoping will get ripe before frost. doc

Participant

Tomatoes and jalapeños are growing well. Leaving the jalapeños longer this year to get some red streaks.

Participant

Picking tons of perfect tomatoes and peppers. Seems like every tomato on every plant is starting to ripen. We’re done canning sauces and salsa, so I’m just giving them away. This year has been one of my best tomato years in recent history. Late planted wax beans and spinach are starting to produce. Late planted lettuce looks good too, not ready to pick though. Last year we had fresh lettuce up through Thanksgiving. Got ambitious (or foolish) and planted some radish seeds earlier this week.

Participant

I have a lot of lettuce up, some will be ready to grow under the cover hopefully until Christmas and over winter. I have been shelling beans like crazy when I let the dogs out for the evenings, going to make some great bean soup and seed stock for next summer

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.