Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits How to stop Squirrels from Digging?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would appreciate some recommendations on how to keep squirrels from digging the soil out of our planter boxes around our patio.

Nearly every time I come home I find several 5 inch deep holes and dirt thrown everywhere. My next door neighbor told me they take off when he lets his little dog out so I know it is definitely squirrels doing this. (Now I also have my answer as to why every spring I get walnut trees gowing in them and the nearest walnut tree is 300 feet away.)

I’ve already stopped 2 with my pellet gun but there are too many to get ahead of. Thanks for any advice.
    Kev

hoytarcher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Air rifle.

Dogs.

Coyote pee?

hunter_2430
    Participant
    Up
    Down

lay chicken wire down then cover with a small amout of soil they cant dig through the holes make sure u stake it down though or they will just pull it away works great if they are digging uf your tulips as well.

nitromag57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

too many squirrels too get ahead of? never heard of such a thing 😀

Kev-Cat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Too many? Yes there are too many. Last week between my yard and my 2 next door neighbors I counted 13 that I could see at one time.

I think there might be a neighbor nearby that might be feeding them too. I found a corn-cob by my back door 2 weeks ago. There isn’t any corn around this time of year.

I like that chicken wire idea but I would hate to have to fit it around all of the plants that are already up.
    Kev

Mr. Pike
    Participant
    Up
    Down

put it on in the fall to stop them from burying the nuts in the first place

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sounds like the 1st of Sept you could have a squirrel shoot and feed. 😉

cuda
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You should not go hungry this winter fill your frezzer with them. You will get ahead of them a good air rifle and scope and it is target practice. Good eating too with mushroom soup and onions. Fun way to spend your time and makes you a better shot too.

Ret58 1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Maybe too late for the chicken wire this year in your planters, but it does work good. In a flower area, say where bulb type plants are, lay the wire down in the early spring before the plants come through. The lead poison proceedure mentioned sounds good too 😉

rmiller
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You might try one of those owl decoys.

Jake5
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Had the same problem last year w/ our planters. Someone mentioned toothpicks so I gave it a try. Seemed to work and I was lucky enough to remember they were in there still when it came time to replant this spring. Ouch!

JK

waterfowler4
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thought I saw a spray at Wally Land that deturets rabbits and other pesky animals B)

Western
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Someone gave my mom the advice of clear plastic forks stuck in the planter to keep cats from laying in them. I tried it with my herb planter last year that the squirrels had been digging up. I don’t know if they had finished their digging or if it worked, but they did quit. The toothpick idea sounds similar and possibly better.
    Good luck.

dvangorp
    Participant
    Up
    Down

lava rocks .. the kind you would use in a gas grill. The little rodents hate the sharp edges.
    just use them like mulch (the rocks, not the squirrels)

or an air rifle 😉

King Eider
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Cuyan Pepper sprinkeled in it will do the trick. Keeps them out of bird feeders too.

Kev-Cat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Came home and found 4 more dang holes! 😡 I picked up some cayenne pepper on the way home and will try that starting tonight around the flowers.

Also got some corn from the farm store for a nice little dinner plate. Stopped by Scheels for some better hunting pellets. Time to use the Gamo Hunter tonight. I’ll have to be sneaky due to living in town and having one crazed neighbor.

This fall I’ll cover the boxes with the chicken wire and use that chicken wire idea next spring before planting.
    Kev

IAdukhntr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a couple of real nice squirrel traps that will take care of your little problem. No one will ever know what they are and the squirrels will not know what hit them………

drakejoseph
    Participant
    Up
    Down

a couple rat traps should do the trick ive caught them with peanut butter before after all that dont call um tree rats for nothin

alwaysfishing1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Try motors, grenedes, mines, jk, i know a guy who tied a pie tin on a string and hung it from a post, the wind blows it around and makes some real annoying boink sounds. and they do sell a real small live trap that would be fun to try. probably leagal too in town, since its catch and release, or not.

KWFD22
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would go with the land mines

that would be your best bet :mrgreen:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.