Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing How thick does it have to be to be safe.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

3″-4″ and I’m in the shack with the heater a blowin haha

wallydiver
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you are standing waist deep in water and your locator says 4’6″ its prolly not thick enough yet! 🙄
    best to wait till you feel safe than to regret it when you got wet feet? 3″ min

Century Outdoors
    Participant
    Up
    Down

whats a spud bar?

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Century+Outdoors

whats a spud bar?

It’s much like a salad bar, but with potatoes.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Heinrix_54

whats a spud bar?

Smart***…… :mrgreen:

nitro1955
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: heyer5

whats a spud bar?

Smart***…… :mrgreen:

Some days I swear I could get fired for outbursts of laughter! Too good there!

burntpowder
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t think hitting thin ice with a metal bar is the smartest thing to do- maybe if snow is covering the ice. I never use a spud bar. Drill and measure- check the bubbles in the ice. Go lite on gear with early ice and get rid of the weight.

anderson_dc
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Spud bar your way out to where you want to fish. Hit with the spud bar before you step and if it goes through in one hit, then you probably shouldn’t step there. Drilling your way out is good too, you just don’t know how thick the ice is when you’re taking a step. Keep in mind that ice isn’t uniform in thickness and just because it’s 3″ at the dock, doesn’t mean it will be 3″ 100 yards out.

One of the stupidest things i have ever seen on the ice happened two winters ago in early December. Three of us spuded/drilled our way out to the road bed on Badger Creek and the ice was only 3″ with the top inch cloudy. Anyways, “Johnny Smart Guy” comes stomping over with his bucket and blue jeans, asks if they were biting and starts heading south. No spud bar, not drilling, no rope, no picks, no life vest, no buddy, nothing! No one had been down that way yet since it only froze the day before. Luckily he never fell through and we didn’t have to go save him. I guess Darwin took the day off that Saturday :question:

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: burntpowder

I don’t think hitting thin ice with a metal bar is the smartest thing to do- maybe if snow is covering the ice. I never use a spud bar. Drill and measure- check the bubbles in the ice. Go lite on gear with early ice and get rid of the weight.

So what you’re telling me is it’s safer to drill a hole between your feet than to strike the ice several feet away from where you stand? Personally, I’d rather check the ice where I’m going then where I’m at…

Wallyman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Grampa always told me two good wacks with a spud bar and if it doesn’t go through, you’re good to go. I have been out on 2 inches before, but I tell you my butt hole was puckered pretty tight with each step, as I’m a 270 pound guy. Good luck and stay dry! When in doubt, don’t go out.

burntpowder
    Participant
    Up
    Down

So what you’re telling me is it’s safer to drill a hole between your feet than to strike the ice several feet away from where you stand? Personally, I’d rather check the ice where I’m going then where I’m at…

I’m saying if your using a spud bar, its too thin to fish. 😉

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

My spud bar works great. It makes a small enough hole if it goes through that I don’t worry about falling through. I just back off and go a different way or get off the ice completely. It will be gitting a work out tomorrow.

icefishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m saying if your using a spud bar, its too thin to fish. 😉

For those of us that are willing to go out on Early season ice, the fishing can be some of the best there is. If you dont feel safe on the ice then dont go out on it but spud bars are a good way to indicate if the ice is ok to stand on. I agree with heinrix in that i would much rather poke the ice with a bar a couple feet away then to stand on it first then drill a hole at my feet to decide if i should stand there or not.

i use a bar to tell me if i should be standing there and an auger to tell me how thick the ice is to decide if i can get the rest of my gear or if i should just go with my bucket.

sageiowa
    Participant
    Up
    Down

When i see trucks on the ice i know its ok to walk on.

1fan4hms88
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: sageiowa

When i see trucks on the ice i know its ok to walk on.

so how do you know the knot head who left the tracks made it off the ice lol 😯

grummanrunner
    Participant
    Up
    Down

4″ or bust, literally

cal
    Participant
    Up
    Down

What bothers me is the number of people that don’t know what a spud bar is.

gunner85
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: cal

What bothers me is the number of people that don’t know what a spud bar is.

Who needs a spur when you can throw rocks… If I can throw a bigger and not break ice then I’m good. Worked like a charm for me so far. If there’s no rocks around, then I just assume its not safe 😉

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve thrown rocks that bounce on some really thin stuff. I don’t trust it even when its a foot thick but I do relax more. Springs, tiles and animals can make it unsafe in a hurry. I start out with a spud bar, PFD, rope with a boat cushion on the end and ice picks and keep shallower until its thicker. I fish alone on a lot of ponds and get one shot at it to survive.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Hoyt08

I was out on 2.5 iches today but it didn’t feel so good. What is safe? Is there a chart?

The word “safe” when talking about ice thickness & support of various weights. Can be decieving to those who have little to no experience on ice. Prime example, ice thickness/solidness & support can vary on a given body of water. As Oldbear remarked, it is wise to have self-saving equipment on you.

When I took a DNR Ice Rescue class, yrs ago. It became obvious how hard it is/can be. To pull yourself up out of a breakthrough by yourself. Even with a pr of floating ice picks it can be hard. Especially once your clothing becomes saturated. Which can happen very quickly. Another reality is your body will become numb & lethargic quickly.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.