Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing How thick does it have to be to be safe.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I was out on 2.5 iches today but it didn’t feel so good. What is safe? Is there a chart?

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

4″ of CLEAR ice is my minimum, and I don’t let anybody stand next to me. I weigh 220# without gear. 5″ I have no problems.

6″ for a 4-wheeler

12″ to drive on

thulbox
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The DNR talks ice safety every year and I bet they have it posted on their sight. 2.5 ” is probably okay for some but I will wait a few more days

PCI
    Participant
    backstretch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Hoyt08

I was out on 2.5 iches today but it didn’t feel so good. What is safe? Is there a chart?

If it didn’t feel so good then maybe stay off !!
    If water is coming up your hole after sitting awhile then be carefull !!
    I like to see a good 3 inches of clear ice,,but am still carefull..
    Carry some spikes or screwdrivers just in case to help you get out,, maybe a whistle also..
    it’s always good to have a buddy near by…

stitch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ll fish 2.5, but am wary, anything over that is perfectly safe for foot traffic in my book. Just remember that depending upon general condition of the ice and weather, no ice is guaranteed to be safe, no matter how thick.

thinkeyes
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Live to fish another day.

sledman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

use a spud bar

thordoggydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Spud bar, check often. Flotation device, rope, and buddy to pull u out.

dougd
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In December and March you will always see a life jacket in my sled.

panfishkilla
    Participant
    Up
    Down

For me three inches of clear ice minimun, honeycomb ice four inches but i do not make my way into deeper water

DiverGuy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Here’s my own personal rule, not necessarily what the minimum safe thickness is. I just want to know darn sure that my life, my gear and my friends arent going in the drink.

Pulling my gear out:

5″ for ponds and smaller lakes
    6-7″ for big lakes (especially Brushy or lakes with springs/current)

Driving a snowmobile or quad

8″

Truck or vehicle

15″+ (this one I never push the limit on)

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

2.5 – 3″ of clear ice and I’ll go out with minimal gear

4 – 5″ and I’ll walk out with the whole sled loaded up

12+” and I’ll drive out

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Heinrix_54

12+” and I’ll drive out

Have you been out yet?

icefishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

12+” and I’ll drive out

This is about right for me granted im a fairly light guy (165lbs) While i was testing first ice this year i had been out on 2″ with very minimal gear and always had my ice picks and spud bar on me at ALL times. i stepped on a spot the geese had sat on the night before and heard the ice crack, looked down to see water seeping up. Needless to say i droped to my hands and knees and got back to safe ice. checked the spot i had stood on and it was 3/4″ generously… 😯

moral of story: Pay very close attention while out early season especially if you are the first (or one of) on the ice. Guys die every year because of bad decisions or just not paying close enough attention while out on the ice. And alway be prepared with the right gear (safety pics, spud bar etc) incase your luck just plain runs out, that way you will atleast have a chance to survive.

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: medicdano

12+” and I’ll drive out

Have you been out yet?

Unfortunately work and basketball practice has been getting in the way, so no. I heard tell of guys fishing Thompson this week, so I might head out here in a bit to check it out.

MisterTwoForty
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I personally wait a little longer. I’m not deer hunting until January 10…then I wait a week or so before I venture out. When there’s a good bit of guys out…then its probably safe for me. I’d say 4-6″ and I feel comfortable.

ROCKSOLID
    Participant
    Up
    Down

ive fish 2 inches before i wouldnt recoomend anything less than 4. and 5 or so for a shack

Hdnpowrz
    Participant
    Up
    Down

All ice is unsafe!!! You fall through, slip or fall, or crash your truck. I took a head on semi side swipping me while in my plow truck while out treating an icy highway. The only ice that is safe for me is in my drink ❗ Think Spring ❗ 😀

OU812
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Hdnpowrz

All ice is unsafe!!! You fall through, slip or fall, or crash your truck. I took a head on semi side swipping me while in my plow truck while out treating an icy highway. The only ice that is safe for me is in my drink ❗ Think Spring ❗ 😀

X 2 and any gov’t agency or personnel that ever tells you your safe on ice, is in my opinion, opening them up to a lawsuit if someone was so inclined, especially in todays society. I will never tell anyone that the ice is safe, only give them a general report of what the ice firsherman have told me.

I’ve had numerous people continue to ask me if the ice is safe to go out on and after the 4th or 5th time of stating the thickness only, most of the time they get the point.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.