How many shoot out of boats?2008-02-12T13:03:34-05:00

Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing How many shoot out of boats?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was just wondering how many of you shoot out of a boat? We really need to make this sport grow in Iowa and what better way then to join the Bowfishing Association of Iowa? We got plenty of tournys and know a lot of places to go.

We have an 18fter with a 20 inch deck 40hp Evinrude and a 101 lb thrust Motor guide trolling motor

Participant

Ryan, the best thing I ever shot out of was a big old cypress flat bottom down by Burlington. It was about 22′ long and had a 4 x4′ front deck. Originally the boat was designed for commercial fishing with a 1000′ net. It was so heavy that it was like shooting from a dock. :mrgreen: I was about 16 and my uncle and friends wanted some carp for turtle bait. None of them had ever bowfished. I think I got 2 or 3 carp then I couldn’t get my bow back. This was circa 1950 or 60. 😉

nater3nater3
    Participant

I think bowfishing is one of those things that a lot of us would love to get into but don’t have anyone to get us into it. I have wanted to get into it, but can’t afford to buy all of the lights and generators for my boat to do it right. I also don’t want to use my nice Ross bow that I have for deer and don’t want to invest a bunch of money into it and not ever be able to shoot any fish.
    Nate

Participant

You don’t need lights and generators. For that matter I’ve shot way more carp from shore/dock/bridge than boat.

nater3nater3
    Participant

It seems like pretty much every carp I see while fishing takes off quickly once I am close enough to shoot it if I had a bow. Oh well, I would love to go out with somebody who has the equipment and would show me how it’s done.
    Nate

Participant

I use a 16ft jon boat with a 18″ high deck with a 42lb thrust Motor guide trolling motor, I have 8 haligen lights on the front of the boat running at 3000 watts ,with a 3500watt Wen genarator, and this year I am adding 4 more lights 2 on each side of the boat. I hope to do some video taping this year.

Bighead, do you got the itch like me?

Participant

I each for it every day. We shot 1313 fish last year and are gonna go for 1500 this year. you should do some tournys with that set up Goosehunter

Nater were you from? It wouldnt cost you too much to get started. We only shot 56 fish at night outta the 1300 that we shot. I would be the man to get any of you guys into it. I LOVE this sport and it is more of a passion to me. I know alot of hot spots and what to look for. I am more then willing to help any of you guys out. Ryan

Participant

All this talk about bowfishin I had to go home when I got off work and watch Jeremy Leu shoot some fish in his 1st video.
    Ryan is Pat still around he was on the IO web site all the time? I shot a toury 2 years ago, I would like to go to more this year.

Participant

Yep Pat is around I work with him actually. We are gonna have a Spring Banquet in March in Osky. You should come to it

Participant

I was at the banquit last year in Knoxville, I’ll try to make it this year. Were in Osky is it?

Participant

Not sure yet. I will find out this weekend and post it on here.

nater3nater3
    Participant

I live in Webster City, about an hour north of Des Moines and ten minutes east of Fort Dodge.
    Nate

Participant

Nate, I’ll be you could go below the dam at Brushy this Spring a shoot plenty of carp, mid day. 😉

Participant

Plenty of shootin to be done at Saylorville. I am sure we could fit ya in the boat a time or two.

nater3nater3
    Participant

I could always rig up my wife’s bow for bowfishing. She never shoots it anyway. It is only 40lbs. Is that enough?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!