Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum How many rods/reels do you have? Not Enough!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Tonight I came home with a new lite-weight spinning combo and my wife saw me get it out of my truck. I was greeted with the pointed question, “Just how many of those do you have!!!??? Why did you get another one? Don’t you have enough by now!!! 👿 ” My response: “I needed this to go after some small walleyes and smallmouth when I go wading. I don’t have a rig really set up for that.” Door slams. Bang! Here we go again….

Well, I decided to do an inventory of my fishing rods and reels to prove she didn’t have any standing to ask such a baseless question! I counted, and found I only have have 38 fishing rods and 34 reels (not including ice fishing). I told her I had “…only what I needed.”

Here is the reality I discovered tonight. I probably use only about 8 combos on any regular basis in a fishing season. Could I get by with much less? – Yes, but I don’t want to.

I can’t believe I am alone in this situation. I don’t just go out and buy every hyped up combo I see on every fishing show. But, I do see I have built up a collection that will meet my needs as they arise.

Anyone else in this boat? I would sure like to tell the LOML that this is very common. “So, there you go!”.
    Kev

walleyefisher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes same situatuion except my mom does not really know how many me and my dad are getting, we usually wait until she is uptstairs or away to bring them in. I have about ten of my own and my dad has about twenty so together we have quite a bit.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ah the joys of being single! I have a couple dozen rods and reels plus tackle boxes of all shapes and sizes. But my real outdoor vice is decoys. I have a basement chucked full of them. Floaters, field dekes, extra bags and weights. When someone does ask me why I have so much stuff I just have to reply “you never know when you might need it”

It is rough being hopelessly addicted to the outdoors!

retfish
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Give her one of the rod you do not use much. Tell her how important it is to you that she learn to catch fish. Give her one or two for her next garage sale.

Now you have to get three more!

dkwolf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Currently have 5 rod/reel combos – 2 spinning, one baitcaster, and two zebco’s. Just picked up two more rods from Cabelas, a little higher quality than I’ve had in the past, and will be outfitting them with much higher quality spinning reels. Of course, there’s also the fly rod setup…

I figure any given day, especially out on the boat, I’m likely to use 3-4 different rods, and I’m the type that likes to have enough ‘spare’ equipment that if a friend wants to go with me, he doesn’t have to go out and buy gear for the day.

The way I look at it, the answer to the question “How many rods do you need?” is the same as on a canoe/kayak forum when a wife asks “How many kayaks do you need”

“Just one more”

Backlash
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m gonna guess I’m at about 50 rod/reel combos and have about a 8-10 extra reels. I just came home with 2 new 7′ baitcasting rods yesterday. Thought they would make great trolling rods (someday) since I don’t currently have reels for them and I sold my boat last fall :mrgreen:

I picked up a shimano stradic reel earlier this spring and when I got home I looked at my rod rack and there was a brand new berkly bionix rod sitting there (2 actually) waiting for a mate so it all works out in the end.

If your wife complains just start counting purses, shoes, and clothes in the closet that still have the tags on them. That will usually quiet them down pretty quick

bowhunter87
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You guys are making me feel pretty good about myself only having about a dozen rods and reels. I have been debating getting another one but figured I had enough already but now I am not so sure. Scheels here I come.

duckguy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just scored two more while at the Omaha Cabelas. I was looking for a couple of combos for running lead core.
    I found the store brand reels with line counters. They were matched up with 8 1/2 ft trolling rods for only $41 each combo. I priced them on the floor for around $110 to $125 each! I love that “cave”.

I guess that brings me to about 15 rod combos. That just don’t seem like enough. B)

Kev, make sure you watch the inventory if the wife has a garage sale. 😉

dale

yotehuntr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Looks like I’m in the minority here. I own 4 rod/reel setups. 2 spinning setups (a lighter g-loomis for panfish/bass, and a 6’6″ St. Croix for bass/walleye/northern), One baitcasting setup (St. Croix), and my new baby, my fly setup (St. Croix).

IONewBe
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have 7 and use 3 of them constantly.

One setup is from the 70’s and still works like new; they don’t make em like they did back in the 70’s!

I’m a minimalist; less is better for me.

I live by this authorless quote:

Never before has our society had so much.

But there is a cost in time and attention with the acquisition and care of so much.

Sometimes our bountiful blessings distract us from what really matters.

Don’t let “things” and “time” rob you from what is truly valuable.

manho
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have 10 that I use all the time. I have 25 in a “umbrella basket” next to the fireplace as a little man cave decor . . .

6 Bait Casters 😀
    – 2 for wormin
    – 2 for Jigin
    – 2 for cranks / spinner baits

4 Open Face 😀
    – 2 for senko / wormin
    – 2 for crappie / bluegillin

😆

ALMOST forgot the PINK one for my wife (Breast Cancer Awareness model) or the “new guy” in my boat . .

Kev-Cat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Today I see a few responded to my late-night post last night regarding my having been accused of having too many fishing rigs. I’m glad to see at least a few others have several combos.

Backlash, thanks for the idea about counting the shoes in the house! 😀 I found them in the walk-in closet in the master-bedroom, in the hall closet, in 2 of the other bedroom closets, and also downstairs in the storage room. That idea helped a bunch!!!! I counted 48 pairs not including snow boots or slippers! You at least got me some temporary relief.

I was surprised other fishermen and fisherwomen didn’t answer with more rigs. Maybe I have gone just a little overboard. Just a little….
    Kev

shaley
    Participant
    Up
    Down

25 or so walleye set ups
    1 bass/walleye
    11 ice
    5 muskies set ups

All get regular use maybe a dozen unused rods/reels in the porch. I’m sure I’ll fine a need for a few more this year.

iowaducker
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have always been about one good combo short 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.