Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting How high?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys quick question and would appreciate your preferences. How high do you guys climb or hang a stand on average? Im curious as to how high i would need to get on a relatively flat piece of land i hunt to where i could be above thier noses. Right now im anywhere from 17-20 and it doesnt seem to be the right height. Im assuming 25-30 ft. Thanks

Participant

I assume you are talking bowhunting. The extra height is only going to help for the deer that are close to the base of your tree. Farther out they are still going to smell you. It’s best to set up downwind of predicted travel areas and have multiple stands to cover each wind direction. I wouldn’t worry about getting higher. That just creates steeper shot angles which are bad for getting double lung shots and can prevent pass throughs where you end up with just an entry hole in the top of the deer. That makes for terrible blood trails and a dead deer that sometimes isn’t recovered. Higher stands also get spooky on windy days. Set up at a comfortable height where the trunk and branches allow. Best wishes!

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant

Quote by: Muskeez

I assume you are talking bowhunting. The extra height is only going to help for the deer that are close to the base of your tree. Farther out they are still going to smell you. It’s best to set up downwind of predicted travel areas and have multiple stands to cover each wind direction. I wouldn’t worry about getting higher. That just creates steeper shot angles which are bad for getting double lung shots and can prevent pass throughs where you end up with just an entry hole in the top of the deer. That makes for terrible blood trails and a dead deer that sometimes isn’t recovered. Higher stands also get spooky on windy days. Set up at a comfortable height where the trunk and branches allow. Best wishes!

X2 Well said

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant

Flat ground, I am usually 12-18 feet up

Participant

I have good success out of 15ft stands

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

All of our stands are 15′ ladder stands, that being said, higher can be nice because it takes even further from eye level. I notice on most of the hunting shows, their stands seem to be very high. The downside to high stands is that they can give you some very extreme angles. As far as being above their noses, someone else said it, but its really only going to make a difference in close ranges (perhaps 10yds or so). The other factor you have is the thermals, typically going up in the morning and down at night. Take these into account too!!

Participant

My hang on is about 20′ up, but that is a result of the the particular tree that stand is in. My ladder stands are the 16′ size. As the season progresses and deer movement changes I hunt from different stands.

Bow hunting, I’ve shot way more deer out of the 20′ stand than the 16′ stands. I don’t think I’ve ever been busted because of smell, but I have been spotted up in a stand. I’ve watched deer sniff the trail I’ve taken to my stand and from their reaction I believe they know a human has passed by recently. But they’ve never smelled me when I’m 20′ up.

Participant

x2

For bowhunting I am usually 12-20′ depending on the tree. If the stand is on a ridge above a trail I tend to go shorter, because the ridge naturally gives me additional height. In the opposite scenario, I have to adjust to go higher if I am below the trail. The only scenario where I feel 20’+ feet off the ground may give a slight advantage is in bottoms that have swirling and unpredictable winds. These places can be really tough to hunt in breezy conditions, and this extra height “might” give you a very slight advantage. However, I try not to hunt these types of sets unless there is very light or no wind.

As a reminder, most fatal falls occur from 10′ or less. Please make sure you are always wearing a harness when climbing trees, including in ladder stands. Hard to shoot a deer or have a Merry Christmas from a hospital bed, wheel chair, or coffin.

Good luck to all and be safe this weekend if you’re hitting the woods for first season.

Participant

I wonder how many people think about air thermals caused by changes in temperature? I don’t bow hunt, but during early morning hours when the air temperature is cooling off, the air is more dense and sinking, which would take your scent to the ground. As the sun warms up the surface, the air will start to become less dense and rise which would take your scent up. Late in the afternoon or early evening the process could reverse as it starts to cool off. This happens locally as well as regionally and it only takes a few degrees difference to create these changes. Humidity or dense air would affect this as well. Just some more to think about.

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant

Thanks for the quick replies! Yep I’m referring to bowhunting. In was debating getting a climber to get up some of these telephone pole trees i hunt near but i think ill hang additional stands for different prevailing winds. I do hunt a lot out of ladder stands also and id honestly prefer aladder over a hang on, partly because i feel more comfortable in it. Thanks again guys some great info

Participant

I get uneasy at nosebleed heights. backdrop and silhouette define how high I put my ladders now. I even cut some off to fit in nicely and have breakup of my outline. I have some that don’t reach 10 feet but fit in nicely in a fork or the like. doc

Participant

16-18 feet normally. Bout as high as I have climbing sticks. haha! I like a little higher just helps move your smell out of area.

Participant

I think the smell factor and stand height is a bit of a fallacy. I look for 2 things in terms of height: 1) best spot for cover in the tree 2) clear shot to the target area.

Only times I have really needed to get high are in thick timber where there are no limbs or cover until you get up high, or hunting just inside a treeline where you may need to get high to shoot over younger growth at the edge. 15-20 is pretty normal for me, had one 40′ stand where I was shooting over a treeline edge to a hill in front of me, that was an exception though.

Participant

You will never get high enough in any tree to get past their noses. Need to play the wind and thermals. . . With that said, I have stands at 8ft, and 1 at 22. All others are around 16-18.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.