Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting How far

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just out of curiosity how far do you drive round trip to your hunting ground? I have a place that would be roughly 35 mins one way or an 1hr 10 min round trip and think that’s getting kinda far.

Participant

I drive 35 minutes one way to work. Hunting that close would be great.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

It all depends…..

Bow (if i still did bow hunt) as close to home as possible to allow for more access to more sits.

shotgun season… an hour or more if you wanna sit all day (not drive back and forth between am and pm)

shotgun season…. 2 hours or more if you are getting together with old friends to do some drives……

Participant

Depends on if you enjoy hunting or not

Participant

Quote by: oldstylelight

It all depends…..

Bow (if i still did bow hunt) as close to home as possible to allow for more access to more sits.

shotgun season… an hour or more if you wanna sit all day (not drive back and forth between am and pm)

shotgun season…. 2 hours or more if you are getting together with old friends to do some drives……

This^. Depends what I’m wanting to do. Also depends on what kind of hunting. For example I will drive a long ways for legitimately “good’ turkey or duck hunting with lower pressure. But around here it isn’t all that hard to kill deer so I don’t see the reasoning in driving 2 hours. Not saying it’s dumb that some folks drive far, I personally just don’t have a need to.

Participant

The primary farm I manage and hunt is roughly 10 miles round trip.

My secondary property is 50 miles round trip, and that is near the maximum for me. Makes it difficult to monitor and easy to forget when the other place is much closer and convenient. However, i have shot a lot of good deer down there over the years during the late season due to its makeup and geography.

If I had the opportunity to buy a place and did not plan to build a house on it, 25-30 miles would be my maximum unless I had a really good friend or partner to watch it for me.

Participant

I can hear the siren from my town while sitting in my favorite tree 😉

Participant

I drive 2 hours simply for the fact that it’s land that has been in my family since 1860. Headed down tomorrow for my first late muzzie sit!

Participant

One property is 39 miles, work is 60 miles one way… I’m in a field that says I’m 71 miles away from home…. Who cares the distance

Blocked

It is a crappy deal that so many have to drive so far to find good hunting. I bet if someone really put worth the some effort you could find some place closer albeit there will be some harsh NO’s spoken but if you persist I bet you can find it. I had a friend go through the big “D” and moved to city to be with his kids. He called and complained of this situation. I went with him and showed him all the opportunities that he has to hunt, trap, and fish. He did realize what was around just was out of his comfort zone. I bet if you ask and make some relationships you can find something. Always keep your ears open from friends of friends, coworkers. Anything is worth following up on even if it ends in NO. My motto on asking for anything is I have been told NO before uncomfortable or not. I walk out back or front door to hunt all game in IOWA. I filled my tag less than half mile from back door on Friday afternoon after finishing work about noon ate sandwich at home and went for it.

Participant

I could hunt closer….. But living in Des Moines its hard to find unpressured areas with “big” deer in decent numbers….. It’s time to mentally prepare on the drive

Participant

180 miles driveway-driveway. 360round trip. I dont mind though built a cabin its like a mini vacation everytime we go. Plus its nice to hunt your own timber

Participant

I use to hunt a spot that was about 3 hours one way, around 160 miles or so each way. I felt it was worth it because it was away and was surely less pressured and had nice quality deer on it. I have also driven to another area that was about 90 minutes each way, same scenario. Place I hunt now is about an hour each way, again, I see more and better deer there than the public that is closer to me. To me its worth it, I love to deer hunt, and want to increase my odds at a bigger buck. Ironically my biggest buck came from public that takes about 2.5 minutes to drive to. 😮

Participant

Between 3 and 35 miles, depends.

Participant

260 miles one way. No phone calls saying dad I need a ride or the wife calling and saying I need this done or that done. When I go deer hunting I am deer hunting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.