Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting How do you use your deer decoy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am curious to see how you all use your deer decoys. Just got one and excited to give it a try this next bow season. Its the Flambeau Master Deer. was wondering whats the best way to set it up. I know you set it so that the decoy is between you and the down wind so when the buck approaches he comes down wind of it and into bow range. But was wondering do any of us use things like tarsal glands for scent. I usually bag the glands off the rutting bucks i shoot and freeze them. Thought that might add to it. But curious any secrets or ideas people who use them have discovered.

Participant

I have had good luck using my decoy. Try to keep it up wind of me. It definitely gets a bucks attention. I have had mine 3 seasons and shot 2 bucks while using it. One was just about ready to smash him, the other was coming around to square up when I shot him.

BigDud1983BigDud1983
    Participant

I always have my decoy in front of me or upwind as the wind is in my face as where its blowing to I dont expect them to come from(ie not a bedding area etc.) I have had bucks try and mount it as a doe, bash it as a buck. I shot a 145 eight pt squaring up to the buck thos nov 21st. I just attach a white rag to its butt and spray with estrus or dominant buck pending how I have it set up. I only use a half a rack as a buck as well. Quartering away as a doe as hell come behind her, and quartering towards as a buck so he come face to face with him, both positions will present quartering away shots. Obv some deer are weird and come in weird ways, heck I have a video this past season of a 4 pter trying to mount my buck. I guess deer have the (lgbt) community as well. Lol

Dustin

Participant

So, I have used one for several years, but not with real regularity as it is a pita to carry around, so I leave it under one of my primary stands and use it when the mood strikes me. Never had a ton of luck, but this year it paid off. I posted the story earlier, but to shorten it up, I climbed into my stand around 9:30 and immediately saw two does bolting out of cover and I knew a buck was chasing them so I got set up. When he popped out, I grunted and rattled and he showed no interest. the second time, he stopped and turned but didn’t advance. So, I hopped down and quickly propped the decoy up against the fence that my stand was in. The 3rd time he popped out, he turned to the rattling and closed the distance to about 80 yds, then walked back. As I waited another 15 minutes, he came walking right in from a different direction with eyes glued to decoy. Perfect 30 yd shot.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

I set mine up as a half rack, quartered towards me upwind of my stand. I’ve really had a lot of luck with them. One other tip – don’t put scent directly on the decoy in case you decided to use it as the opposite sex the next time. I usually spray all my scents on the ground around the decoy, or on a scent wick upwind of the decoy, or both.

Participant

Do any of you use your 3D target as a decoy? I’m looking to get a target and hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Participant

What about using one bowhunting the late season. Buck or doe?

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

Quote by: Wapsi+Willy

What about using one bowhunting the late season. Buck or doe?

I have never used one late season but a lot of my hunting late season is focused on food sources. It seems like the deer are much more cooperative with me (they come into the field easier) if there is already deer out feeding. I have thought about using a deer decoy in the late season for this reason but I have also had does spook from decoys too…

Participant

I had a doe and two yearlings this fall come in and stop dead in their tracks in front of my stand and stare at my decoy for 10 minutes at 15 yds. I decided I didn’t want to shoot one…then I got thinking I better give it a try and just fill the last antlerless tag I had, but in the time of my indecision it had gotten much darker. I drew back and couldn’t see my pins. They hung around a while longer then wandered off.

Participant

I haven’t used a decoy in quite a few years, mostly due to my ground being very rough terrain making it a real pain to carry in when I already have all my other gear. I did have good luck with it when I did use it. What I really like about using one is having something for the deer to focus on, hopefully helping you have an opportunity to get ready for your shot. I think we’d all be surprised if we knew how many bucks busted us before we ever saw them due to them staying back in the brush scanning to find out where the grunts or rattling is coming from, and then spotting us. A decoy in an obvious spot has to help with that situation.

Participant

Got mine this year and used it twice. My whole year stunk, so saying it didn’t work might be a bad assumption. I used it with one antler and two. I got the same flambeau one you have. They’re nice, I bought it to hunt with out of a ground blind as well because one of the spots I hunt doesn’t have suitable trees for stands and I wanted something to keep the deer’s eyes off me. Good luck with yours!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.