Home Forums Hunting Reloading Hornady vs Dillon Progressive Press

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m contemplating upgrading to a progressive press to reload handgun rounds and was looking around at what is available. I’ve narrowed my choices to the Dillon 550 and Hornady Lock N Load AP.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-AP

https://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B

I see the Dillon presses (550 and 650) have been previously discussed and those who own them seem to really like them. However, I have a Hornady single stage press set-up and the ability to interchange some parts is rather appealing. I’m sure these presses would up my production rate, but the entry price is rather high.

One difference between the Hornady LNL AP and Dillon 550 is that the former is auto-indexing whereas the latter is not, meaning you have to manually rotate the plate with the Dillon whereas the Hornady does it automatically. The Dillon 650 will auto-index, but it costs considerably more. There also are a bunch of accessories that you have to purchase just to get started.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the pros and cons of the above presses and progressive presses in general? Is it worth upgrading over a single press? I envision making the progressive a dedicated handgun press and using my single stage press primarily for rifle rounds.

Participant

I personally have the Dillon RL 550B. At the time I bought it, it was the only true progressive available. Others came along later. I have had no reason to look at other progressives since purchasing the Dillon. I guess in my humble opinion there is Dillon and there is everything else. Dillon customer service is awesome. Only had to send the unit in one time for service and had it back in 4 days- REPAIRED the first time. BTW- it was operator error that caused the problem. Was taken care of at no charge. I also own a SquareDeal for dedicated .40 SW handgun loading for USPSA Limited division. I fact all my loading equipment is Dillon. Scale, dies, eveything and am completely happy.

Participant

we went from a 1970 single stage to the Dillon 650xl with the case feeder. it was the best move we ever made. The advantage of the 650 over the 550 is the auto index and the powder check station. I will agree that the customer service is nothing but the best and for that reason alone I would go with them. We load 4 different hand gun calibers and 6 rifle calibers

Participant

There are a ton of You Tube videos and reviews on both.
    The Dillon presses seem to have fewer problems.
    Two of my buddies have the 550 and swear by them.
    It’s a fairly expensive investment but if I were going to buy a new press, it would be the Dillon 550.
    You will have the thing for the rest of your life.
    If you settle for less, you will have “buyers remorse” every time you have a problem.

Participant

I have a LNL AP and like it for what I reload. It takes no time to switch between the 40cal and 45cal. I also like that it has a station for a powder check die. My brother has a LNL AP and a couple of dillions(I don’t know which ones) but they have the auto case feed and the auto bullet feed. He got them at a smoking sweet deal that could not be passed up. He also likes that they are an hour away from where he lives in Az. The reason that I went with the LNL AP is that I can switch my dies from the single stage LNL right to the AP without resting them. I can load about 250-300 rounds an hr on the LNL AP. But I’m not usually pushing it very hard.

Participant

I owned an early Hornady progressive called the Projecter.
    After 20 years I sold it and bought a Dillon 550.
    I am happier and have no regrets.
    I like to index my press by hand and I can feel instantly if something is not right.
    Get an extra Dillon toolhead and you can change dies in seconds and they are all in adjustment.
    I won’t part with mine.

Participant

Seems people who have a Dillon swear by it and those who have a Hornady LNL are quite happy with it. Maybe it’s just a Ford vs. Chevy thing?! I am attracted to the Dillon, but it just seems to cost so much more than the Hornady press. I mean, the Dillon XL 650 press has a MSRP of $567 whereas you can find the Hornady LNL AP for around $440 or a bit less. There also is a promo for the LNL AP where you can get 500 free bullets from Hornady with a purchase. That seems to be a fairly significant difference if you ask me.

Participant

Go do some research on customer satisfaction and customer service. I have found no company better then Dillon. And yes, It might be a chevy vs ford thing.

I own the Hornady single stage and Dillon 550. I’m in Ames. If you’re close, you could swing by and take a look.

Participant

I will add my two cents, check out dillons warranty, they claim a no bs warranty and they mean it,in reading their blue press issues,several owners have lost theirs in a fire,neglect,or what ever,they will replace it for free,I had an issue with a primer tube,that was my fault,I forced the handle detonating an entire stack of primers,man that was loud,I called them and told them what I had done,and ordered the new parts,even gave them my credit card number,the parts showed up with a zero balance owed,I called them and asked what was up,they absolutely refused payment.
    their service is outstanding! if you buy the machine maintenance kit,(all the small parts) they will replace what ever you use for free for as long as you own the machine.
    sure,they are a little pricey,but, you get what you pay for,imho, with this caliber of machine and service,it is not a ford/chevy thing,not even close.

Participant

I too have the Dillion 550b. I load 9mm and .45 ACP and LOVE the press. I am sure the hornady is a good press and will probably serve its user well but if I was looking for another press right now I would get the 550b again. I also like to manually index. It slows me down just enough to make sure there are no issues that could lead to a bigger issue. I can load 100 .45 ACP in 11 min and that is not going insanely fast. that is just going slow but smooth and we all know that smooth is fast!!!

Participant

Quote by: andrewst35

I own the Hornady single stage and Dillon 550. I’m in Ames. If you’re close, you could swing by and take a look.

Thanks for the offer. I have seen and operated the Dillon 550 and it seems like an excellent reloading press with many satisfied users.

I decided to order the Hornady Lock N Load AP because (1) I already own their single stage classic kit and many parts would be interchangeable, (2) the price was more reasonable for me and includes Hornady’s 500 free bullets offer and (3) a search online shows that there are plenty of satisfied Hornady LNL AP customers with some components of the machine (i.e., the powder drop) actually being superior to Dillon’s.

There also is a sale going on at Cabela’s with free shipping which sealed the deal for me.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=739991&type=product&MDK=dynbanP_SL&MDC=cat104516280&WTz_l=undefined%3Bcat104761080%3BMCcat104516280

Good choice. If you have time, check out the Bill Morgan YouTube videos. He explains how to set up the Hornady lnl ap press throughly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.