Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Home made box Call

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This winter I made a box call. I got the idea from this page and thought I would try it. I made it out of red elm. I went out on 4-18 and had several toms sounding off both to my right and to my left. I was set up along a river. Two Toms were to my left across the river and 3 to my right two across the river and one on my side. I was only able to get a response from one across the river to my left. There was a nice landing area 20 yrds off to my left where I hoped he would land when he came across. Instead he flew across at an angle and landed 6 yrds behind me. I could see him out of the corner of my eye and I hoped he would walk to his left but he went right and disappeared.

Afternoon hunt I went to different spot got set up and called. 10 mins in I heard a hen off to my left, so I called again. I was watching to the left and when I look to the right there was a tom and 3 hens coming out in to the field. They start to come across the field and the tom gets spooked by something and starts heading back. The hens turn and follow. So I start calling aggressively and get the hens to start to come back. They slowly make their way over and I was able to take the Tom. After the shot the hens stayed around the Tom in the field.

I am going to make marks on the call of the birds that I harvest using my homemade call. Thanks to whomever started the forum on making calls

Participant
    Up
    Down

Good job on the call and bird 😀

Is the call 5 pieces and a lid ? I have a pile of calls, but for some reason the sound from a good box call is my favorite.

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yea it is five pieces and the lid. I have a block that I was going to carve one out of as well but I haven’t got that far yet. The box call has always been my favorite too. The two sides make a different sound I sanded the inside of the one side to give it a raspy sound

Participant
    Up
    Down

That’s awesome! Makes even more rewarding when you call one with a call you made. I make my own wood crankbaits. Well haven’t made any for a few winters cause one winter I made around 150 of them. I should make some more cause it is a fun hobby.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.