Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Holland or Traeger?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Thinking of one or the other. Thoughts?

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Heard good things about the holland. I would not own a grill made in China so check where what ever you buy is made.

LONESUMGUS
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have friends that have both. the one with the Holland, I believe is gas, said he will buy another ifn this one takes a crap. the one with the traeger, pellet, said he wont buy another and is leaning towards selling and buying a green mountain, which is what I am looking at.

Forgran
    Participant
    Up
    Down

What’s the problem with the Traeger?

iceking25
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Green Mountain grill/smoker

Here is why the electronics in the traegers are not nearly up to par they run off time which just doesn’t work out unless conditions are constantly the same Weather, temp ect. . The green mountain runs a thermostat for control so when It starts dropping in heat it adds more to bump up the heat.
    Having used both and owning both I would not buy another traeger.

I have not used Holland.

LONESUMGUS
    Participant
    Up
    Down

don’t get me wrong ive ate a lot of good meat off a treager. its the electronics and other components that have gone to crap in very short lifespans. green mountain just seems to be a little better built imo.

crappii
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I love my traeger. Use it year around. Heard the green mountain is a little more stout

LONESUMGUS
    Participant
    Up
    Down

have yet to own one, just cant pull the trigger 0n the money part. my last gasser took a crap 2 years ago and I resurrected an old weber and have just kinda got the hang of that. ive heard that GM grills will heat up to a hotter temp for say when you want to do a steak. whereas the treager is more low and slow so to speak.

LONESUMGUS
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: crappii

I love my traeger. Use it year around. Heard the green mountain is a little more stout

crappi, how long have you had yours? have you had trouble with the electronics or hotrods? my inlaws have one that is about a year and the other is only 3 and they have parts on standby that’s the trouble they’ve been having.

IowaDuckHunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Spend the money on a Big Green Egg and you will have the best of all worlds and you will never look back.

IowaDuckHunter

Philly
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: IowaDuckHunter

Spend the money on a Big Green Egg and you will have the best of all worlds and you will never look back.

X2 lifetime warranty as well. Best smoker out there. It’ll be the last smoker you’ll ever buy.

mj1966
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I had an electric and was nice in the winter, but had to one to many parts go bad/quit working.
    All I have now are wood/lump charcoal smokers. extra large green egg and a horizon marshall rd. Love them both. Green egg great all year long smoker/grill, dead of winter holds temp. Now my horizon is all plate steel and is not a winter smoker, but an awesome smoker for spring/summer/fall. I like the manual way of smoking, adjusting vents and such.
    Before I bought the 2 above smokers, I was seriously looking at an amerique smoker, it is electric and very well built, but has a pretty good price tag on it.
    I’m sure all electrics will have some issue now and then, but mine were, what seemed like every time I used it there was an issue, exaggerated a bit. I would say 3-4 issues from spring to fall. Something goes wrong your down til parts come in. With a charcoal smoker not much can go wrong mechanically. Plus I think the taste of food with lump charcoal grilling is better than propane grilling. Just my thoughts….

HuntFish4Ever
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I own a Traeger (lil tex), use it year round and love it. You can upgrade a thermostat from Traeger, or an aftermarket one like I did. Was like $80. The grill / smoker will hold a constant temp where ever you set it, from 140 to 400 +. It is not the best grill for searing steaks, other than that it is money. I smoke and dry jerky on it, summer sausage, snack sticks, ribs, prime rib, pork shoulders, pork chops, steaks, etc. You get the convenience of single switch operation and the bonus of grilling / smoking over different types of wood (i.e. hickory, apple, cherry, etc.). We even cook “take and bake pizzas” on it and they turn out awesome. I do think the upgraded thermostat is a must. Most other Traeger owners I have talked to love them.

tla100
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Brother has small traeger n had fire go out but kept augering pellets in. Well the brisket ended up really crispy on outside and not done on inside. Granted it was in overnight w/o supervision, but isn’t that what they are made for?

Buddy had a green egg knock off and he loves it. Get temp right with dampers and it will hold.

Holland are ok. No flare ups and are quality.

Heard good stuff on green mnt.

Are you looking for a grill or smoker?

I have fixed multiple old webers up and i really like them. And i have electric canjun injector smoker that is ok.

possum63
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I do not have a traeger but I do have a Louisiana Pellet grill and I love it. When my wife and I separated for a while I took my guns and grill. I have had some great food off of a green egg. I believe you can get a little better smoke flavor from an egg. I have made everything from turkeys to chocolate chip cookies on my pellet grill. Amazeing cookies I might add…. I have to agree with someone earlier who said it is not the best grill for grilling steak. But, steak belongs on a charcoal weber anyways….

Philly
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Big green egg you can reverse sear steaks at 600-700 degrees if you want. You can cold smoke bacon and fish at 150 degrees or lower and do pizzas at 800 if you want. You can get the temp up to 1000 degrees plus and not hurt it one bit. It’s the most versatile cooker you can buy. And food just taste better on an egg.

dthomebrew
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a traeger and love it. I too upgraded my thermostat and think it made the grill better, but with that said it just made it easier to pay no attention to the grill and have great food. There was a post about the grill going out and still feeding pellets, it has happened to me also, but each time it happened it was cause I didn’t clean out my pot enough. This happened to my friends also whom have pellet grills, that are not traeger grills. if I could buy any new pellet grill right now I would buy a yoder grill, but I don’t cook enough to justify the $ for a yoder

Cinch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have 2 traegers one is the smaller one that is 9 years old did upgrade to the digital thermostat never had any issues with it. We have hauled it. all over the us on 40 plus trips still works like a new one. The big one 7 years old no issues I also upgraded to the digital . Put in a brisket at night take out in the morning never fails. You need to keep them inside and clean out yearly my guess that people that don’t take care of them have problems. Have friends that have green M and like them the green egg needs a lot of attention to control temps is what I have been told but no experience traeger is my choice times 2

klee103
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We have used a Holland grill for a number of years. Bought the 1st one and it last well. With a little cleaning the burner (cast iron) outlasted the rest of the grill. It cooked our meat perfectly except in the winter. The temperature just didn’t get hot enough for winter weather. Now we have replaced it with another model and it seems to get hotter and is useful year around. We can’t be in a hurry and have to plan the meal and cooking time…. I will never buy another brand…..of gas grill, I am a Holland Grill fan! In the summer when the weather is warm we even do homemade pizza on it. (Start with the pizza dough, give it a 7-10 minutes to cook on 1 side….flip it and then add the toppings. 10-15 minutes later, we have fresh pizza.

mhock
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Philly

Big green egg you can reverse sear steaks at 600-700 degrees if you want. You can cold smoke bacon and fish at 150 degrees or lower and do pizzas at 800 if you want. You can get the temp up to 1000 degrees plus and not hurt it one bit. It’s the most versatile cooker you can buy. And food just taste better on an egg.

What’s reverse searing?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.