Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Hickory Grove Report

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I haven’t seen any mention of this on here yet but will add some incite to a meeting I attended a month or so ago. Hickory Grove lake will be going thru a draw down and renovation starting late fall or early next spring. Rip rap will be added in area’s to limit erosion, dredging or rather mechanical equipment will be used in order to deepen the area between the N. boat ramp and island. The area out from the grassy hill on the SW corner and the cove where the old boat livery use to be. The West jetty will be lengthened with a bridge over it going to the island where primitive camping may be permitted in an attempt to rid the geese from nesting there which creates quite a problem with pollution and the beach area. The lake will be drawn down 19′ and the fish eliminated . Hope I can find 4 anchors in one big brush pile, 1 got stuck, 1 the rope broke and 2 had the spring loaded clip let go somehow. Fish habitat structure will be added also.Work ? is suppose to be done and completed in 2018 and start restocking with adult Bass in 2019 and Bluegill, Crappie and Catfish in 2020 along with a smaller number of Walleye. Personally I think it will be 3-4 years before everything is completed due to weather and unforeseen problems arising as with the new restroom/shower house/tornado shelter which was completed finally this year. Just got done with 2 weeks camping there as well as 2 weeks when they held the meeting. Gonna be a while before we get back there. Hope they hold off until spring so they can get the rip rap in and we can do some ice fishing. Also the Blue Gill fishing has been pretty fair with an occasional Crappie. That’s my report. Mayor of Hickory Grove.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

farmer11
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Didn’t know Hickory Grove was on the redo list. Will be interesting to see how long it takes. It is really interesting to see what shows up
    when they do the draw down. I was at Don Williams when it was drawn down a few years ago.

djo
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Story County and the DNR have already done a lot of work on the whole Hickory Grove watershed. The lake has suffered from runoff problems depositing silt, phosphate, nitrogen and animal and human wastes in the lake. They have spent several years identifying all the sources of upstream contamination and taking care of them as best possible. Now they are going to clean the lake, fix problem areas that have been contributing to sedimentation, and adding fish habitat and some recreational options (as well as fixing the dam). While emptying the fish from the lake will be a challenge, as you might remember the DNR identified a bad carp problem for the lake a couple years ago and this will help substantially. I will be sorry to lose the fishery for a couple of years but I think we will all be happier with the lake once the renovation is done.
    David

lebruce
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Do you know when are they planing to start the water draw down and are they going to relax the fishing reg’s ? Kent Park they netted allot of the fish and put them in a holding pond.

graybeard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hopefully, as mayor, you can keep things moving at a steady pace and get the lake back in use asap. I don’t fish there very often, but I do like to ice fish it a few times every year. It would be nice if they wait till spring, give us one more year for it. Keep after them, Steve.

stick500
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Can bow fishermen come help with the carp during drawdown?

hotrod
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the recap Mayor! It is sad to see this lake be gone for a couple years, however the issues they intend to solve will create a better fisherie for decades to come.

I think I read somewhere that next spring/summer (2018) they will pull the plug, but not for sure on that.

Keep us posted Mayor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.