Home Forums Hunting Firearms henry big boy in 45 lc or 44 mag ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Iam looking to get a henry big boy in when are going back in production but i dont know which caliber to get. Iam leaning towards 45 cause ive always been a fan of it and also wanted to get me a uberti outlaw in that caliber aswell but some tell that the 45 aint a good rifle as compared to the 44 ? Any thoughts would help

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by .sooperfresh.
    cage
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It depends on if you reload. There are way more ammo options available for store bought for 44 mag.  If you reload you can build just about whatever performance level  you want for the 45 colt.  If  you get a rifle in 454 or 460 they will outperform the 44 mag and you would still be able to use 45 colt.

IowaSportsmanGuy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Are you planning to hunt with it?  45 colt can be loaded to a powderpuff or to 44 mag loads.

Brad Phillips
    Participant
    Up
    Down

.44 mag is easier to buy off the shelf if you need ammo. Either one will work well if you reload. Of course this only makes sense in the pre-covid BS. If was to buy something now, it would have to be something I have ammo for or components for.

Yes, the .45 has a larger diameter bullet, but the .44 Mag is loaded to higher pressures. Some guns will allow higher pressures with the .45, but that is generally a handload only thing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.