Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Helix 5 ice, help

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just a bump to give Maxx a hand,
    I’ve only had mine out a few times — my trouble is I’m so used to looking at my Vex–need time in a shack with them side by side

Participant

Quote by: sparkie

Just a bump to give Maxx a hand,
    I’ve only had mine out a few times — my trouble is I’m so used to looking at my Vex–need time in a shack with them side by side

Thanks.

I really want to dumb it down and just put it in flasher mode. I just want to see bottom, fish and my jig. What do I need to do this other than set it to flasher mode? I am guessing I may need to jack with speed and sensitivity?

I am going to try to get out next weekend.

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

Set the speed to ultra and adjust the sensitivity to see your jig, get used to it then punch in the settings above

To use next to your vex just turn the gain down on the vex and pull the vex transducer up high in the hole, in shallow water with the correct settings you should get no interference between the two

Participant

Quote by: MATZILLA

2d setting is in the sonar menu near the bottom, be sure to turn on advanced mode

XNT 9 28 T Is the transducer you want to use with a humminbird di unit…it gives you both the 200/455khz frequencies. You can simply loop the cable and it works like a normal ice ducer

I’d take one of these finders over a Vexilar any day

Do you know if this transducer can be used on a SI unit? After buying it and plugging it in I am only able to get the choice between between the 83 and 200hz. Thanks

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

Nope di only in the helix line, it will work with si units in the 800-900 core line

That transducer on a helix si will only work when set to 2d element 200khz

Participant

Matzilla – Thanks for the help. I was afraid of that after I read thru a few other posts. My helix 7 SI works great on the ice when fishing in less than 20 feet with minimal interference from my buddies vex. However once we get in deeper water, I have to really turn my sensitivity up to pick up my jig and the return is very faint (even with the vex turned off). The interference also really starts to become an issue once we get in deeper water. Have you ran into these issues with your helix 5, any suggestions?

Participant

Sorry guys been busy lol

Here’s what I usually go with…
    Advanced mode
    Ice mode off – never ever use it. Ice mode gives full control of many settings to the finder and overrides manual settings
    Surface clutter 7 or higher – more clutter makes for faster response…lower setting can help clear up interference
    Switch fire clear mode, can run more gain and works better when fishing cover
    I usually set the max depth manually instead of auto… cranking up the max depth is like upping the gain on a vex but if you set it to say 100′ when in 10′ of water you’re only slowing down the response time
    Depth lines on. Makes tracking fish vs your jig easier but personal preference
    Fish I’d off
    Wide rts window with a scope….must have
    Noise filter off unless you get interference
    Color pallet 7. Idk why but it is my favorite
    Black background. High contrast
    Brightness at about 4 to save battery
    Setup the overlays or boxes how you want. I run depth in the upper left and Volts lower left

Use the sonar split screen to catch more fish
    NEVER run with an ice ducer on a di or si model without selecting 2d element….for those of you with a di unit get a 2d skimmer instead of an ice ducer
    Turn off the views you don’t need while ice fishing
    Manually adjust the top and bottom ranges as needed
    Color bar off
    Structure Id

I baseline my helix 5 di first trip out then only do minor adjustments for sensitivity and depth the rest of the season

Thanks MATZILLA! Took my helix 5 DI GPS unit out with the iceducer and it worked flawlessly. Just like he said, manualy adjust depth and mess with the sensitivity. Have yet to use it around other units so we’ll see if I experience any interference. Overall, I’m really happy with the unit. Using the scrolling history sonar is slick!

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

To tune out interference you can adjust the max depth, reduce the surface clutter, and turn on the noise filter. With the si unit you should turn on jigging mode.

Participant

To tune out interference you can adjust the max depth, reduce the surface clutter, and turn on the noise filter. With the si unit you should turn on jigging mode.

How close do you have to be to experience interference? I was out yesterday with several guys within 50 yards or so. And what does interference look like? fuzzy?

Participant

I’ve experienced additional clutter and occasional flashes of random markings when fishing close to a showdown. A few adjustments and I can clear it up.

Participant

Thanks to those who’ve shared their settings. I’ve finally got my 899 dialed in this winter and it’s been awesome between the GPS and maps, unlimited ability to zoom, and the bigger color screen. I’m still not 100% sure I’ve got the noise filtering figured out, on my own it works great and it’s functional at least around other units.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.