Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting HD Hen Turkey Decoy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, what have been your experience with the newer High Definition lifelike decoys? I’ve been tossing around the idea of upgrading my 15 year old rubber hen for a younger model. :mrgreen:

I’ve been seeing them from $70 on up. And wondering are they worth the $$$? The AvianX brand looks to be around $70, but not sure if I like the inflatable idea??? But it’s around how much I’d be willing to spend if I were to get a good number of seasons out of it. If the HD decoys are worth the extra expense?

later,
    scruffy

Participant

No idea about the new models, my old foam girls still have the right stuff, they haven’t failed to reel in a Tom in 15 yrs. Although I did touch their makeup a little this winter.

Participant

While i wont dispute they have great eyes, i think turkeys are given too much credit with these new high dollar decoys. Im interested to hear if anyone has experienced better luck with these as well. Im not a blind/decoy guy- i am constantly on the move trying to find birds that are vocal or spot a strutter and work him. I have a couple cheapo decoys ill throw up when im feeling like takin a midday turkey nap and have seen them work.

Participant

I bought some Avian X decoys about 4 years ago after giving up on decoys for a number of years. Wanted to draw them in for a bow shot. They worked like a charm compared to my old feather flex rubber foldable girls.

Participant

Started with a Delta (two piece foam, sewed together) and now use an Avian X hen. The new decoys work very well.

I like a decoy in early season when there is no leafy vegetation, Toms can see a long way in open timber. Once it greens up, I want them to look and search more.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I’m actually maybe talking myself into a DSD hen LOL… It’s non collapsible self healing resin material should last for many many years, spreading the cost over many double digit seasons. the thing that worries me about the avians is air leaks or just putting it out on a cold morning and have it deflate a bit from the air inside cooling…

Either way I need to decide if I want the more popular upright/lookout hen or the leading/breading hen (not the one on the ground but the one up on the stake)… decisions…

Participant

My decoys cost me around $20.00 each back 30 years ago. Still work today. Does the HD stand for High Definition or does it really stand for High Dollar? Sure their is more detail when viewed from 5 yards. It the extra detailing going to show up at 100 yards? I doubt it will.

I do believe that a good paint job is important, especially on a sunny day. The iridescent paints do a much better job of mimicking a real turkey.

I say buy the decoy which pleases you the most. After all, you may spend more time looking at that decoy then the gobbler will. :>) :>)

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Quote by: SR+Dave

My decoys cost me around $20.00 each back 30 years ago. Still work today. Does the HD stand for High Definition or does it really stand for High Dollar? Sure their is more detail when viewed from 5 yards. It the extra detailing going to show up at 100 yards? I doubt it will.

I do believe that a good paint job is important, especially on a sunny day. The iridescent paints do a much better job of mimicking a real turkey.

I say buy the decoy which pleases you the most. After all, you may spend more time looking at that decoy then the gobbler will. :>) :>)

Yeah, HD means both of those things LOL! 😆

And I think you hit the nail on the head. The higher definition is really only a big advantage when the tom is close to it. Getting him solely focused on it when in close to commit to coming all the way to it to place the tom for a bow shot and have less chance of him spooking from the movment.

I’m not bow hunting, but taking a friends kid out and having the tom placed and having more of it’s attention should help seal the deal.

Plus my old rubber decoy (paradise something brand) is pretty worn… stuffed with socks to hold it’s shape, up on an arrow shaft since it’s stake broke a decade ago, etc. It needs a complete repaint or replacement. And with my kids possibly going out with me also (my daughter for photography reasons), an HD decoy might be a good investment.

And like you said, I gotta look at it for hours, might as well get some eye candy LOL. 😆

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Well, I went with the “Dave Smith Decoys Leading Hen Turkey Decoy” from cabelas. It’s a similar pose to my old decoy and Cabelas had them for $119.99 and free shipping right now. So $50 more than the inflatable Avians and I don’t have to worry about any air leaks and might get more years of service out of it, so I bit the bullet and put some of the tax return back into the economy. :mrgreen:

And when I think of how much I’ve spent on patterning loads, chokes, shorter barrels, calls, etc for this hobbie over the years… I guess it’s natural to splurge on an eye candy hen. 😉

later,
    scruffy

Participant

Congrats, let us know how things work out with the new girl.

Participant

Hey Scruffy, I’ve got a avian x hen decoy and a DSD jake decoy. The DSD is defiantly a step up in realism and durability. You’ll be happy with the purchase.

Participant

Quote by: scruffy

Well, I went with the “Dave Smith Decoys Leading Hen Turkey Decoy” from cabelas. It’s a similar pose to my old decoy and Cabelas had them for $119.99 and free shipping right now. So $50 more than the inflatable Avians and I don’t have to worry about any air leaks and might get more years of service out of it, so I bit the bullet and put some of the tax return back into the economy. :mrgreen:

And when I think of how much I’ve spent on patterning loads, chokes, shorter barrels, calls, etc for this hobbie over the years… I guess it’s natural to splurge on an eye candy hen. 😉

later,
    scruffy

You made the right decision. Great decoy. I’ve got the strutting tom as well. Hell of a decoy, just a pain in the you know what toting around with the real fan I use with it. Doesn’t get anymore lifelike though.

Participant

Great purchase now you need a dsd or dakota jake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1vejK2N8_I

Participant

Quote by: IAtaxidermist

Great purchase now you need a dsd or dakota jake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1vejK2N8_I

Had the same thing happen 17 yrs. ago with a hard plastic hen with absolutely NO paint on her. My son was 100yds away and after I shot the 28 Lb. Tom, he came running over and wanted to know what all the noise before the shot was. I told him it was the Tom’s claws on that hard plastic. Fun day.

Participant

Good luck with the DSD, I was wanting…. but too tight $$$$

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.