Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing Have chubs, now what?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I took my 2 year old down to a creek today and we managed 9 or 10 creek chubs and big common shiners. I’d love to try them for walleyes in the river but I never have before and wanted to get some advice before I wasted all of them. How should I rig them for fishing the Des Moines River since it is so shallow right now?
    Slip sinker or bobber? Lip hooked or dorsal or both? Hook size?
    Thanks for any tips

Participant

You have some super fine live bait for this time of year! I would put them under a float maybe 12-18″ to start with and maybe a 1/8-1/4 oz egg sinker about 6″ above the hook. Depending on the size of the chub I would use anywhere from a 1/0-4/0 hook. I like to run smaller hooks and any chub under 6″ gets put on a 1/0 or 2/0. If the float does now work, use the same setup minus the float and a larger sinker (maybe 3/8 oz) and fish on the bottom. I like to fin hook for under a float, and on the bottom lip hook those bad boys.

Participant

How you hook them will depend on your presentation. Vertical (bobber) hook under the dorsal. Horizontal (jig) through the lips.

Participant

Thanks guys.
    I tossed back all of the 8-12 inchers and kept the only the 4 to 7 inch ones. A 12 inch creek chub puts up a decent fight!
    Should I let the fish run with it for a long time before setting the hook for these larger baits?
    Should I do a stinger hook stuck in the back/tail when I nose hook them for jig or slipsinker?

Participant

Let them run for at least a minute. Walleyes will usually take a chub sideways then stop to swallow it a few moments later. This is kind of a rule of thumb for 4-5″ chubs. However, it also depends on how aggressive the fish are and the size of the fish. They may smoke it right away or they may sit there mouthing it for 2-3 minutes. You just have to let them tell you. If you plan on keeping them it usually pays to be patient and let them take it.

Participant

I know of a nice eye that was taken just the other day out of the Dsm on a chub…

Participant

Thanks guys. I’ve got them in a comfortable home for a couple days until I can try them out. Hopefully, I will have some pics to post. If the eyes don’t want them maybe a nice northern or flathead will.

Participant

Caught a nice 8lb. catfish on a 4” shinner on a floating jig the other day. Boy that would have made a
    Great Walleye.

Participant

Caught my personal best 8.5# walleye 2 years ago on Halloween and it was rolling just like a channel cat. It was so dark I didn’t realize it was a walleye until I reached down to grab it. I went from slightly annoyed that I’d have gunk all over my line to absolutely amazed that I was holding the biggest walleye I had ever seen in person.

Participant

The aforementioned tactics should work great. If you want to actively search, try hop-hop-hopping a chub on bottom with a jig with a large hook gap like a northland fireball jig. Even if your chub is freshly dead, it will still catch a fish, as long as you do the hopping in the cadence they like that day (:

Participant

We used to use 8-10 chubs below Frazier and it was amazing how small a walleye will take a chub that size. Keep in mind this time of year they are trying to fatten up and eating a big meal expends less enegy that many small ones. We would fish the just below the ripples in a deep area and catch lots of nice eyes. An 8-10 chubs moves around quite a bit so I would keep my drag nice and light so that when a walleye would grab it they could take it down stream into the deeper portion of the hole. Give them plenty of time as they need time to get the chub lined up to swallow.
    We use chubs on the Mississippi spring and fall using a heavy bucktail jig. A 3/4 oz bucktail jig with a 6″ chub is a great bait combo.

Participant

I had one chub escape the bucket last night. I had it covered by a piece of plywood but he must have hit the 1/4″ gap from the pump power cord with enough force to get out. I rinsed the dirt off him and rolled him in borax to go into the freezer. The borax keeps their scales shiny and toughens the skin so they don’t fall apart after being frozen. I do it with leftover minnows and they still seem to catch fish.

I think I will try cast one on a jig with a stinger hook into the back meat while I have another under a bobber or slipsinker if in a less snaggy area.

IME, a walleye can swallow a baitfish up to 45% of its own body length so even a 15″ walleye should be able to easily swallow a narrow bodied 6 inch chub.

I’m really excited to get out tomorrow afternoon!

Participant

Quote by: Franco

I had one chub escape the bucket last night. I had it covered by a piece of plywood but he must have hit the 1/4″ gap from the pump power cord with enough force to get out. I rinsed the dirt off him and rolled him in borax to go into the freezer. The borax keeps their scales shiny and toughens the skin so they don’t fall apart after being frozen. I do it with leftover minnows and they still seem to catch fish.

I think I will try cast one on a jig with a stinger hook into the back meat while I have another under a bobber or slipsinker if in a less snaggy area.

IME, a walleye can swallow a baitfish up to 45% of its own body length so even a 15″ walleye should be able to easily swallow a narrow bodied 6 inch chub.

I’m really excited to get out tomorrow afternoon!

I have caught walleyes FULL of 5-7″ madtoms in the fall! They seem to love those things

Participant

From fish I’ve taken below the Ville spillway, I’ve seen 9″ shad, 7″ white bass, 6″ largemouth, 4″ bluegills and crappies, and lots of small drum but never any madtoms. Probably not a lot of madtoms hanging out in that stretch of the river. A 7″ white bass has to be a pretty difficult meal to swallow for a 17″ walleye with all of the spines and rough scales. If I remember right, it still had the tail sticking out of its throat.
    The 18″ walleye I caught a few days ago had 2 undigested bluegills in its belly and still hit my jig.

Participant

Didn’t catch a thing on the chugs and caught one little crappie on a jig.
    I was surprised the chubs weren’t all that lively once they had a hook in them.
    A fellow angler gave me the last of his minnows. I didn’t catch anything on them but they are still alive, so I will try to give it another shot this weekend. Thanks dude!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.